Hi ?

Dicky

Hi all recently joined up before me and my missus start our venture into our self build ??

We recently bought a house with the plan to extend it, but we have had 2 architects around and both have said we would be better off demolishing the house as to build what we want. We are looking at over doubling the square footage of the house and apparently it's not possible. We are both happy to do this as we can build what we want and not governed by the current house and walls.

But now the question is, how do we go about building it. Traditional block, timber frame and block, or ICF ??‍♂️??‍♂️

I have read a bit of Information on the site regarding all possibilities but I'm even more unsure of which way to go.

The house is off mains gas and there are leased PV solar on the roof. We have spoken to the company who own them and they are more than reasonable to work with us with which ever we decide.

Basically I'm after peoples opinions of what's cost effective and also energy efficient and what the pros and cons are of each.

I'm no builder but am an electrician so would feel confident in giving things a go myself.

That's basically the jist of things at the moment.

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts and gathering useful information that may help us with our dream

Rich ?

IMG-20190418-WA0028.jpg

IMG-20190418-WA0021.jpg

IMG-20190418-WA0034.jpg

First of all, welcome.

3 hours ago, Dicky said:

[...]

But now the question is, how do we go about building it.

[...]

The answer in brief is leg work.

You cannot read enough. You cannot network enough. You cannot ask too few questions.

You already have two of the most valuable possessions: 

• A trade. And all trades people have connections. 
  • A partner. Without one, its all so much harder.

Connections mean answers. A partner means - at the very least ; oiled wheels, a sympathetic ear, another perspective. Vital.

Good luck

Ian

• Thanks 1

Welcome.

We all have opinions. Your job (echoing Mr Bosch above) is to learn enough in your situation that you can me a decision in which you have confidence.

3 hours ago, Dicky said:

there are leased PV solar on the roof. We have spoken to the company who own them and they are more than reasonable to work with us with which ever we decide.

On that one, read the contract to see what your rights are. When I talked about removing some of those, essentially I would have had to buy out the next 15 years' cashflow to put them in the same position as if the contract had continued. Hopefully there may be an "out" if you are demolishing.

That is one to sort out in advance if you can, as any changes you want to implement may well take months to agree then months to implement (Land Registty and Deeds will be involved).

I would lay odds that you will end up either buying it out, or keeping it on.

My call would be to build a materials store / workshop as large as you can under Permitted Development in a position where you will be able to keep it as a long term feature of your house, and move them to that roof.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

We went down a similar path - bought a tired but sound house with a view to extending and then realised that the economics of demolish and rebuild were more compelling. Also we were able to correct plot positioning, include a basement and achieve a passive standard.

Being a trade, you're already way ahead of many of the self builders here, I'd never build much more than an Ikea wardrobe previously :)

Before deciding on build fabric, think on what performance you want to achieve min building regs, decent SAP or passive standard.

Some systems need a thicker wall profile to achieve equivalent performance, some are inherently more airtight than others, some lend themselves  but fundamentally you can reach any standard with any material if you focus on the detailing. 

Some systems also lend themselves to DIY (such as ICF) so depends if you're looking to do a lot of work on site yourself, aside from the electrics.

Edited by Bitpipe

Hi @Ferdinand thanks for taking the time to say hi and reply

With regards to

17 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I would lay odds that you will end up either buying it out, or keeping it on.

I have no problem keeping them on but on a new roof. They have said if I want to change the roof (when we were talking of extension) they said they are reasonable and can accommodate. But now it's a demolish and new build I'm hoping they will fair the same ?

17 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

My call would be to build a materials store / workshop as large as you can under Permitted Development in a position where you will be able to keep it as a long term feature of your house, and move them to that roof

There is an old 3 car car port down the back which is in poor state which I plan to demolish and put a new large 2 car garage down there. I was going to do this the same time as the new house and get things delivered the same time to save on cost and what not

Thanks @Bitpipe for saying hi and replying.

4 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

We went down a similar path - bought a tired but sound house with a view to extending and then realised that the economics of demolish and rebuild were more compelling. Also we were able to correct plot positioning, include a basement and achieve a passive standard.

I was always slightly thinking it may be worth demolishing but never thought it would be a real option and an extension would be the way forward. 

Now we are planning to demolish we also look to move the house slightly on the plot to accommodate a slightly large drive opening and push the house from the road a little, even tho the road is a quiet road. Luckily where I am there are lots of farmers and jcb owners and have had one quote to demolish for £2500, which includes taking the rubble away. He will them turn it into hardcore and sell on. So a win win for him ?

Before deciding on build fabric, think on what performance you want to achieve min building regs, decent SAP or passive standard.

Ideally we want it well insulated so there would be no need to re-install and lpg tank that we are having disconnected and taken away. So a air source heat pump is going to be an option plus under floor heating and a wood burner in one of the living rooms.

Some systems also lend themselves to DIY (such as ICF) so depends if you're looking to do a lot of work on site yourself, aside from the electrics.

Hopefully the plan is to do an awful lot myself and call in help from mates in the trade to give a helping hand with the stuff they can do, carpentry, plumbing, etc.

I'm leaning more towards ICF but not sure where on the site I can gather a wealth of information from one post or a pinned post and who on here may be the best to speak to regarding ICF stuff.

11 hours ago, Dicky said:

[...]

Hopefully the plan is to do an awful lot myself and call in help from mates in the trade to give a helping hand

[...]

I'm leaning more towards ICF but not sure where on the site I can gather a wealth of information from one post or a pinned post and who on here may be [ able to ] to speak to regarding ICF stuff.

I have about four years experience of one particular ICF : Durisol. There are many other brands of ICF, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. 

My ' journey '  (?) with Durisol has not been easy - sometimes terrifying (have a read of this) , at others a dream to build with on my own. Its easy to use, but it needs as much care and attention to detail as any other system. 

Part of the trouble with Durisol is that its marketed as an easy-to-use system. The 'thing' that goes with it in some peoples minds is speed of build. In my case, that was seen -by one or two people- as an excuse not to bother , and excuse not to sweat the detail. Fatal.

Stitching the two quotations (above) from your post together - the experience of your mates, and their attitudes to ICF will be a key thing to think about. 

Almost every trades person setting foot on our site has no - zip, nada, nie, kein, rein -experience with ICF let alone Durisol. And that matters. Some look at it and run (there's loads of work about - "Why should I bother?") , others suck their teeth harder and longer than normal.

You'll already have a good deal of sympathy - they're your mates. But, take the plasterers for example: does he have experience  of a very highly absorbent / porous substrate? Is he prepared to give it a go?

Here's way too much detail about my experience with Durisol.  Yes, I would use it again. Yes I would drive a hard bargain by investigating other ICFs.

No, I wouldn't self build again. Too damn old.

12 hours ago, Dicky said:

Hi @Ferdinand thanks for taking the time to say hi and reply

With regards to

I have no problem keeping them on but on a new roof. They have said if I want to change the roof (when we were talking of extension) they said they are reasonable and can accommodate. But now it's a demolish and new build I'm hoping they will fair the same ?

There is an old 3 car car port down the back which is in poor state which I plan to demolish and put a new large 2 car garage down there. I was going to do this the same time as the new house and get things delivered the same time to save on cost and what not

there is a lot of value in having a very secure store early on, as it lets you get a lot of things in advance that people might just be giving away. You also have somewhere to store your gibbons (*) and maybe digger, and eg scaffold etc. It could save you from moving some stuff twice.

Pros and cons based on whether you save more by having the store or economy of scale.

There are often opportunities to get things free.

Ferdinand

* £&5)=*#*)7 iPad. = gubbins.

Edited by Ferdinand

I think that demolish and replace is a good option.

I think that like cable systems being unreliable at the connections, there are loads of complications at the joint between the old and new in all the different spheres .. electric, leakage etc.

And new build has huge tax and simplicity advantages.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

@AnonymousBosch really appreciate them links. Will take some time in work to read them.

I am interested in building with durisol and doing it myself with my partner/friends but want to know is it as easy as it says on the tin.

With regards to other trades coming to work on it such as carpenters and plasterers I'd be surprised if any around my neck of the woods have worked with it but I may be wrong.

On 20/05/2019 at 20:40, Dicky said:

Ideally we want it well insulated so there would be no need to re-install and lpg tank that we are having disconnected and taken away. So a air source heat pump is going to be an option plus under floor heating and a wood burner in one of the living rooms.

Many here who have built airtight and well insulated houses need minimal heating  - for me, a woodburner would make the house unpleasantly hot, even on the coldest of days. I couldn't even have a small ethanol burner type fire.

Decent UFH will keep the house at a comfortable 20+o year round - we don't have any heating in basement or upper floors, just ground floor and it's rarely on (few months in winter).

Overheating is really the main challenge - careful planning of orientation, glazing and shading is required - ASHP and UFH can be run in reverse in summer months to help with cooling.

TBH, it's all about planning the house as a system and doing some basic calcs on performance to see what works and what does not.

Good luck, you've come to the right place to get more advice than you'll ever need :)

p.s. I love the ambiance of a real fire (N. Iron man). All I can do now to replicate  is the occasional bonfire and a glass of Laphroiag.

Edited by Bitpipe