BBO

Hi all,

I am just completing a conversion but hired professionals for UFL. What I find strange is that the manifold (RED) is in the kitchen, and all sections (4 excluding kitchen) go through the kitchen floor and not through the staircase (behind the kitchen) and therefore leaving the potential to overheat the kitchen, when all areas are on and kitchen is already at temperature.

Should't they have taken into consideration that the kitchen is potentially the warmest place in the house and it will become a potential sauna? Also the Manifold is right behind the oven and stove.

Can I should I insulate the pipes from the screed? Will lay down normal sand+cement screed...

Any pointers really appreciated.

Thanks

Screenshot.thumb.jpg.2dcee2de85844493a0a6c3894d507efb.jpg

In my house they put pipes in conduit/insulation when they run through another room from the manifold before the room they are supposed to heat, especially when there were multiple pipes all running to different rooms for example in the hall. The odd single pipe will be ok, but you might want to insulate the area where lots of pipes run together. In my house the actual manifolds themselves generate quite a bit of heat and the rooms they are in are generally warmer than other rooms.

Overheating may or may not be an issue, it would be an issue if they were in a space that you don't want to heat, but all that will probably happen is the kitchen circuit won't kick in if it is a bit warmer from the flow though the kitchen.

Generally they won't run the pipes through walls, they run through doorways as you have shown. Is that a utility room at the left, I would have expected it there. Where is the boiler?

Did they have a kitchen plan showing the oven etc, or did they think that is the back of a cupboard? As @PeterW says you need to be able to access the manifold. Also it would stick out from the wall so the appliances might not fit in front of it, not that you would want to do that.

Can't the manifold go under the stairs i.e the other side of that wall it's on now?

That's where I'm putting mine. I'm not having another heat source in the room where the stairs are. Hoping the manifold on wall and insulated tails in the floor to the other (6?) room's UFH loops will suffice. 

Edited by Onoff

Thanks for your answers.

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

That isn’t right as you need access to it. 

Did they send a plan through before it was signed off and started ..?

I told them where I wanted the manifold and they didn't send a plan. But I can try to make the box accessible from the stairs. Great point. Thanks.

The pipes should have gone through the stairs also but for some weird reason they ran them all through the kitchen. 

Do you recommend to insulate the back of the manifold on the kitchen wall? IE the Oven?

The Boiler is in the floor directly above the manifold.

I saw some insulating expansive foam in a can that I could put above the pipes running through the kitchen, or should I just leave it and hope that a busy kitchen day will not turn my kitchen into a sauna.