Pergola/Pagoda for BBQ area

I’d like to cover part of my patio with some sort of roof to provide a sheltered BBQ area. I’d like the roof to be clear (corrugated plastic or similar) but am unsure about the suitability of this over a 3 burner sized gas bbq.

There are currently 4 off 4” inch square posts in situ approx 2.4m x 2.4m apart. These are positioned in a less than ideal place but it’s what I’m working with.

Looking to make a simple roof frame with rafters, hopefully 4x2s will be ok, cover with clear roofing and a small rear gutter.

will clear corrugated plastic be ok for this bbq use?

(yes the rear posts against the neighbours garage are too tall but I am planning to chop them down a little imageproxy.php?img=&key=cc55a271c50209a8and they are also closer together)

974372B2-0928-496C-8F8B-201FE0D2B8D0.jpeg

2F4C599A-D4C9-4B16-A220-50DD5A183363.jpeg

Edited by daiking
Wtf is glass bbq?

13 minutes ago, daiking said:

So pedants, stand by your beds.

Miserabilist !

Half the joy was just sucked out of my day.

Real men build geodesic domes for their BBQ shelters.

F

PS I cannot see any problem unless you BBQ a giraffe, as long as it is the right stuff for the span.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, daiking said:

I’m worried about the heat from the bbq compromising the plastic roof. 

I am not Onoff so I do not want to make a sliding roof mechanism like the Millenium Stadium.

I really cannot see a problem, but I might try my biggest ever barbecue as the first one in midsummer heat to make sure.

There’s nothing stopping you reinforcing it with a few discreet taut wires in a Union Jack or Gridiron Plan, just in case.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

5 minutes ago, daiking said:

The $64 question is paint them grey or not

Personally, I like gates gate-coloured (ie the natural material), and would not usually paint them without a good reason. For me, all that means is that the next thing is that they will have to be re-painted.

I am still fighting a siege-of-Constantinople style rearguard action against one of my Ts who has wanted the front of her cottage painting since 2010, and I still maintain that the 150 year old grey pebbledash with flint is just fine, and that showing patina is a good thing.

I can see that eventually I will lose because there are genuinely a couple of scars from an ill-advised porch that existed from about 1980-1990.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand