Hi All,

Just thinking ahead to the VAT claim, a lot of the materials I am paying for such as concrete, bricks etc I am not getting the receipt just an invoice which gets paid and appears on my bank or CC statement. Will and invoice and copy of a statement suffice?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, nubbins said:

Hi All,

Just thinking ahead to the VAT claim, a lot of the materials I am paying for such as concrete, bricks etc I am not getting the receipt just an invoice which gets paid and appears on my bank or CC statement. Will and invoice and copy of a statement suffice?

Thanks

I submitted loads of invoices, probably the majority of my submission, they all had different names (cash invoice, pro-forma invoice etc). Some indicated that they were paid or goods shipped but f not noted, you may want to write PAID with the date on them and whether cash or CC etc.

Belt and braces to supply proof of payment alongside - not sure it necessary but it won't hurt. I only did this for international orders to show the currency conversion.

Main thing is that they have the traders VAT number on them (VAT paid does not need explicitly called out as you can submit those under part E). If over a certain value (can't recall) they need to have your name and address on them also.

Invoices are fine. You don’t need to send receipts (I didn’t) but the claim form says that HMRC may ask you for proof of purchase. I logged my invoices in a spreadsheet as I went along (that was later used for the reclaim) and added an extra column to show how I paid the invoice; credit card, bank transfer, cash or whatever. If there had been a query then I had the details to hand. I haven’t heard of anyone on here being asked for proof of purchase TBH. I suspect that might be more likely if you have a VAT registered company as they will want to ensure that you haven’t paid the invoice through the company, or if you had reimbursed the company for the purchase. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Temp said:

From memory I think it actually says they want VAT "Invoices" on the claim form.

A few of mine were just printoffs of web order forms. I put the vendors VAT number on them and were accepted. 

48 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

A few of mine were just printoffs of web order forms. I put the vendors VAT number on them and were accepted. 

Wow! I reckon you had the work experience boy checking yours ??

2 hours ago, newhome said:

Wow! I reckon you had the work experience boy checking yours ??

I do think that - two were for vanity units, which are explicitly excluded (although mine were really sinks, just not named as such) and loads of MDF, hinges, rollers and handles that were obv. used to build built in wardrobes per plans but i filed them as first fix timber and ironmongery. Never mind the basement fit out that was not in planning drawings (but i amended building drawings).

That said, i did not claim for anything outside the official list. 

7 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

two were for vanity units, which are explicitly excluded 

‘Simple’ vanity units are allowed, so the ones that support the sink and maybe have a cupboard underneath. More elaborate ones that are much wider than the sink and contain drawers to the side for example count as furniture and are not eligible.