Shower pod or proper job....

Cpd

We have volunteer accommodation which works well, however i am in the process of upgrading  the washing facilities. For ease and speed i am considering an all in one shower "pod" rather than re doing the shower area from scratch. The area available is max 900mm wide and over 2.3m heigh ( need to check measurements)  surrounded by bare timber frame and a good timber floor. There is water power and waste pipe in place. However having looked into the self contained shower "pods" i am somewhat unhappy with the choices and there respective costs. The pod needs to be able to take an electric shower, have a front opening door and fit through a narrow door to be constructed...... After lots of Googal work i came up with.

Kinedo Consort (Delta) Self‑Contained shower cubicle £380 cheapest plastic option  
Kubex Kingston All-In-One Sealed Shower Cubicle £660 more what i am after

Now my question is for £660 am i better of buying a shower tray ( with up stands)
Wall board and  edge / corner fixings 
Door and other " bits" 

i am into doing things right but this is a rustic location and i want to keep it in perspective.  

I and my ever helpful though ageing farther are capable at advanced DIY if you call it that but i was looking to prioritise my time to other jobs, hence the pod idea.     

Your thoughts or experience would be welcome. 

Shower Room Pods?

https://taplanes.co.uk/

There are others, including one I looked at near Manchester which I can't find.

You will be looking at more money but easier fitting. I think I saw them for down to a couple of thousand.

If you have the one with double sliding doors you will be forever mending it. And if a hinged one with the seal slightly wrong you may be forever letting volunteers out of it when they overshut the door.

I went for large shower tray and fixed shower screen when redoing our student bathrooms, and we did 4 for 10k including all fittings and finishes. They are still fine 4 lots of students later.

eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Walk-in-Shower-1200X760-Tray-760-8mm-screen-Free-Waste-/301995192561?hash=item465050f0f1

If you spelunk through this Landlordzone Thread titled The Tenantproof House, my studentproof bathroom conversation starts at about screen 8 or so:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?35033-The-Tenantproof-House

Here you go - post 103:

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?35033-The-Tenantproof-House&p=420089#post420089

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

If the walls are reasonably good and level then why not just install some K-panel arround a standard shower tray? Cheap, easy to clean and will do the job well.

i have assumed in writing this that asthetics are fairly low down on the list of demands as its not exactly "pretty" but certainly very functional. 

http://www.claddingwarehouse.co.uk/hygienic-pvc-wall-cladding?gclid=COu8-c-73s4CFeMy0wodJDQMyQ

if you wanted to go a little more up market then the shower panels can be had in 900mm widths which again would probably be cheaper than the all in one pod:

http://www.claddingwarehouse.co.uk/decorative-bathroom-cladding

Edited by Barney12

Thanks for ideas and advice so far, so i think the general consensus is that for around £600 i am not going to get a pod that is good quality ( both in looks and durability )  so that brings me to the shower tray and wall board option. Yes looks are not that important and my volunteers are not here under duress.... So i do not need to build a reckless student proof box.. So i will start to look into a bespoke system. The walls are straight and true, the floor is solid timber frame with 22mm flooring and will be finished with marine ply as i have seen talked about on other threads here, final floor covering to be decided. I am based on the West coast  of Scotland so my nearest town would be Oban, this limits delivery of some items..... I have read previously about the importance of using shower trays with up stands, so now i just need to decide on a suitable wall board option and get the detailing correct at the bace where the board overlaps the up stands...?  From memory of reading other threads the silicon / Ct1 is behind the wall board up near the top of the up stand..... So that there is no silicon within sight. Question, how is this achieved ? And would it not be better to use some sort of gasket / sticky backed  rubber seal, or am i way of course..... 

So my to do list is.... 
Research shower trays 900mm wide with up stands 
Research wall board options, including corner and trim compatibility with said board
Research door options 
Its coming to the end of our volunteer program so i am not under crazy pressure to chuck a pod in and be done with, i will just have to make the time. 
Got to go i am home alone with 14 month old son who is just waking up.......         

• 7 months later...

Well this is just an update.... shower pod or propper job. This was all done as cheep as reasonable so it took some time to acquire  all the materials. Total price including all insulation and materials was about £700,  Triton shower, Coram shower tray, vent axia vent and light. Its essentially a shower built on top of a towbar of a caravan....... hence only 900mm to play with and its going to be awkward to hitch it back up......   

IMG_1338.thumb.PNG.1dfd9fc88464753b1a4856b1cbf1f0dc.PNGIMG_1335.thumb.PNG.79d325384467a44f31894a7457d784c9.PNGL

• Like 2