Steelwork quote seems a lot

Kim

2 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

bit harsh, architects have to deal with the whole project, balancing planning, client, budget, technical, timescale issues - structural engineers have one job to do! ?

You are of course correct about building regs, it's a serious failure in the english system imo, far too much responsibility is trusted to builders and "building regs" rather than actually getting the correct person to design things for the best outcome... seems like a massive oversight from everyone involved here! even the builder pricing the job

It is a bit, but, there is reality to the comment!

Regarding the services architects offer it all depends what their scope of works is. I often work with architects who basically come up with the building and then advise on it's final finish and architectural details to a point or through to completion but they don't really do much more than that. In commercial building most of the services you list above are carried out by an engineering consultancy who supply engineers, QS, PM's etc. or a contractor that uses in house team or a construction management firm. Remember private builds make up for a tiny percentage of the construction industry and often result in architects sort of taking on a build as their baby and offer services not usually covered by their discipline. 

Yes, it just seems odd that someone who's job is to check compliance and suitability is being blamed for someone else's mistake. 

7 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

I work on a lot of commercial projects and really we don't have engineering consultancies acting in anything like that role, maybe on a tescos or something where there's zero design requirement but it's certainly not my experience of working as an architect in the uk, eu or canada

Yes, I see where you are coming from, my initial comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek - I know that architectural firms offer more than a building concept but when projects grow in size generally their involvement does end up simply being "this is what the building will look like" then as I said before engineers make it all possible!

Obviously it is scale dependent, those certainly sound like smaller commercial projects if there is no multi-disciplinary involvement with professional services being provided by relevant professional bodies. 

At present we are involved with an architect who is providing full services to a small multi-city commercial project, his firm are responsible for more or less everything I can see although we are providing M&E, structural and fire engineering services and a QS is doing some audits, but in the grand scheme of things it is a fairly low budget project and that is why it is all being done in house, but there are only 15 of them in the whole firm so obviously they couldn't directly service a large scale project but may be able to offer the architectural services. 

On something like Tesco I think they just buy a Meccano kit in all honesty!