Ideal wet room design from slab pour on wards

wet room  floor design for wheel chair friendly access --eg no  lips .

do you just pour slab as normal or leave that area slightly low and unfinished  for space for all the plumbing and  required slopes etc.

next question 

japanese toilet --any experience  of them in us 

any good for old folk who find it hard to bend to wipe the bum etc 

are they reliable ?

thinking about relations +me  in times to come 

My last place had 3 wet rooms, all fully tanked and tiled

we poured the floor and left a set down in the slab of about 30/40 mm

we then screeded this to the required falls

then tanked then tiles. 

No step up or down from any room to the wet areas. 

My new place will be exactly the same. 3 en-suite all fully tanked and tiled. 

I wanted to fit Japanese-style bidet/toilets, but SWMBO vetoed the idea.  I think they are great, with the one exception that I wasn't much taken with the tunes they play (apparently the idea is to cover up any embarrassing noises).  They are fitted to hotels in Japan, so I would guess that they are reliable.  They are expensive to buy here, though, and finding a decent one that has English instructions on the controls can be a challenge; when I last looked all the "cheaper" ones seemed to be imported products intended for the Japanese domestic market, with just Kanji on the controls (interesting to see that the Kanji for the two main washing functions translates as "bottom" and "front bottom"...).

A reasonable compromise is to fit a hand-held shattaf shower unit by the toilet.  Does much the same job as the washing elements of a Japanese toilet, albeit without the automation or the warm air drier.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I wanted to fit Japanese-style bidet/toilets, but SWMBO vetoed the idea.  I think they are great, with the one exception that I wasn't much taken with the tunes they play (apparently the idea is to cover up any embarrassing noises).  They are fitted to hotels in Japan, so I would guess that they are reliable.  They are expensive to buy here, though, and finding a decent one that has English instructions on the controls can be a challenge; when I last looked all the "cheaper" ones seemed to be imported products intended for the Japanese domestic market, with just Kanji on the controls (interesting to see that the Kanji for the two main washing functions translates as "bottom" and "front bottom"...).

A reasonable compromise is to fit a hand-held shattaf shower unit by the toilet.  Does much the same job as the washing elements of a Japanese toilet, albeit without the automation or the warm air drier.

checking victoria  plumb they seem to range from £600 -£5k if you really want to be silly 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

My last place had 3 wet rooms, all fully tanked and tiled

we poured the floor and left a set down in the slab of about 30/40 mm

we then screeded this to the required falls

then tanked then tiles. 

No step up or down from any room to the wet areas. 

My new place will be exactly the same. 3 en-suite all fully tanked and tiled. 

40mm enough to get all drain connections etc  happy  without lots of grief,

certainly don,t need 40mm of slope  

and did you lower UFH piping in those areas ?

We are going to slightly reduce the insulation in those areas to maintain the thickness of the screed above, ufh will be stapled down to insulation so will just follow the step down, with a little bit of fettling around the step in the insulation so as to avoid any kinking

our en-suite are not very big so not a huge task. 2.7m x1.5m