Solar PV FIT gotcha

ragg987

My electrcity supply company just told me we only qualify for the "lower" FiT rate of 0.74p per kWh instead of the 4.32p higher rate. They say it is because the EPC is dated after the PV commissioning date. This rule was introduced (I think) in April or May 2016.

We installed and commissioned PV 24 March 2016 to integrate into the roof, the as-built EPC was only available 1 weeks ago, we connected to grid in July as that was first time we had electricty in the house. This can't be right - can anyone shed some light on this? How do other new-builds handle integrated PV?

In new build the EPC cannot be produced until the house is 'physically complete' - this includes commisioning of services, air pressure test (if done), confirmation of the 'as built' specfication, use of ACDs etc. So the EPC will ALWAYS be dated after all of the above!

I normally receive a copy of the MCS cert for the PV (if available) and provided I have the above will produce the EPC. This has never been a problem in the past in then applying for FIT

Suggest you mention this to your supply co.

• Like 1

Thanks - that is the head scratcher. I did speak to supply company and the chap I spoke to was not too helpful, seemed just to read the rules back. Suggested I try to get a new MCS dated after EPC and they would review it. Have gone back to my PV supplier to see if they can provide any guidance.

From EST website (my emphasis)

"If you submit your application on or after 10 May 2016, the EPC will need to be dated before the commissioning date of the system. If the EPC band D or better is dated after the commissioning date of your system you will be eligible for the lower rate"

These things are set to try us - perhaps it will kill take-up of PV for new builds? Maybe that was the intention...

Perhaps I need to get it re-commissioned now. Not sure it that is actually possible, and if so will the supplier accept that.

Remember this includes exsiitng builds too. The EPC band D requirement  ensures existing housing has reasonable(?) levels of insulation/energy conservation measures before installing the PV. New build will normally be Band B or better.

Our PV was commissioned in July last year - several months before our as-built EPC was prepared - and we had no problem when we applied for the FiT late last year.  You're right that the rule changed in May, but it looks like the only difference was to prevent same-day applications (underlined bits are the only change):

"Solar PV applications submitted before 10 May need to provide an EPC which was issued on or before (and not after) the commissioning date of the system.

Solar PV applications submitted on or after 10 May need to provide an EPC which was issued before (and not on or after) the commissioning date of the system." 

Based on the "before 10 May" criterion, we shouldn't have been able to get the FiT!  Perhaps the rule was different late last year when we applied?

Be interesting to see what your PV provider has to say.  

P.S. I deleted my previous post because it wasn't relevant.  I assumed you meant you got a lower rate due to a drop in FiTs, rather than due to the "lower" designation due to EPC date relative to PV commissioning.

Update after a few calls and chasing around.

Ofgem say that it is recognised that the change in legislation has caused a problem with new builds and that there is a review that could lead to a change in the future. No promises. Said they have received a lot of complaints and are keeping a register of people who they can contact if there is a change here.

PV company have said they can decommission and recommission the install (plus change generation meter) and hence re-issue a new MCS. Supply company says that they will accept a new MCS. I am going to try this - cost of recertification is equivalant to 1 years loss is revenue with the Lower rate, so worth it for years 2 onwards.