GSE in roof system

BMcN

@SteamyTea not directly answering the question but one local installer did emphasize a "hidden" benefit of the solaredge optimisers, for him, is they collect and report per-panel long term statistics. So he can go back after 5, 10 years and see how it's still doing and diagnose if there has been any unexpected drop off in performance. Also, if one panel fails the optimize keeps the string still working until in can be replaced. (obviously if the optimize fails you're snookered). I think it can even automatically send an email to owner/maintainer in case of failure too.

So anyway this is my plan to handle any future diagnosis needs. ( Oh and also aside from the primary benefits of dealing with shading, the optimisers also mean we can have a smaller and more efficient and claimed quieter and longer life inverter too)

1 minute ago, joth said:

"hidden" benefit of the solaredge optimisers

That is the main reason, apart from shading, I would choose them.

I would think that not many installers that fitted them are still around, and how long will the service be supported by the manufacturer.

• Like 1

The most common failure mode reported seems to be MC4 connectors, so adding more connections seems likely to create more potential failure points.  Having said that, I suspect that most of the reported MC4 failures were down to installation, most probably a bad crimp (there are lots of not very good crimp tools around).

If it were me I'd just keep things dead simple, connect each panel to its neighbour as it's fitted, not faff around punching holes through the roof membrane (that are bound to create an issue sooner or later) and run the combined string DC cables through flexible conduit over/along the roof and down to an externally mounted inverter, in a cool location.  That way all the DC wiring is outside the envelope, well protected by being under the panels/roof covering, the inverter can run in a nice cool environment and if a panel has to be changed because it gets damaged there's no need to disturb anything, risk damage to the membrane trying to pull cables out, etc.