Sunamp - funny smelling hot water

readiescards

(Not strictly a Energy Storage topic but this seems to be the Sunamp board so I've posted here)

In our newly converted holiday cottage I  have  a pair of Sunamps, a PCM34 feeding a PCM58.  The hot water when it arrives (after a long drag around the property, including via a hot water circulation pump that fires only when there is a need -a @Nickfromwales useful idea) at the bath or basin taps (not tried the kitchen sink)  has a strange plastic smell.  

Anyone else having this odd plastic smell from their SA DHW?

Yes the system is newish, sub 2000 litres of DHW been through it at a guess.  

Note the water is very aerated - can't see sink plug when initially filling hand basin with hot water but a minute after stopping hot tap water all is pretty much clear.  Not sure if that makes issue worse.

I lived in this village 30 out of my 50 years and the water has never smelt like this before and does not in my own house in the same village fed by the same water line, so I'm very confident it is not the water input supply.

Ive done a number of SA installs where no such issue has been evident. Curiouser and curiouser……….

The only thing I have noticed on other installs, is the NRV's and TMV had introduced the aeration of the water, to a point in one instance that the water looked like milk. As you say, once allowed to stagnate briefly, the bubbles dissipate and the water returned to crystal clear. I think that issue can be separated out of the equation.

As for the smell, I'm at a loss there. The heat exchanger is entirely potable ( drinking quality ) and is made from solid copper. The only place to be picking this up is from contaminated pipework or some other phenomena.

5 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Can you not run it for a bit longer...to rule out it’s not just a commissioning thing

Either that or is there a drain off near the SA that you can sample directly from the SA 58? ( needs to be done with the hot return pump off ). BTW, @readiescards what speed setting is that set to? Should be on max.