Steel portal frame lacking DPC detail.

albert

Hi I am doing a class Q ( conversion of steel portal frame building to residential) and I am looking for advice on achieving a suitable DPC detail where the steel penetrates the DPC  DPM at slab level.  from my research so far it look as if commercial buildings just lap a DPC or tanking system up to the steel but wondered if anyone has experience in this area. Id like  better solution  as capillary action will surely let dame rise up the steel. Any thoughts appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, albert said:

Hi I am doing a class Q ( conversion of steel portal frame building to residential) and I am looking for advice on achieving a suitable DPC detail where the steel penetrates the DPC  DPM at slab level.  from my research so far it look as if commercial buildings just lap a DPC or tanking system up to the steel but wondered if anyone has experience in this area. Id like  better solution  as capillary action will surely let dame rise up the steel. Any thoughts appreciated. 

It shouldn,t  

most portal frame buildings are ontop of a  slab and portal bolted to slab

DPC is under the slab

now it is not that type 

eg post holes and frame legs dropped in them+ concreted ,then concrete floor laid inside that 

tank all the perimeter floor in between   the legs  and up the legs --job for your structural engineer to design and detail for your plans,

could be he will want you to dig down at outside and tank that.

might easier just to lay another slab with dpc on that one and around the legs--job for the architect or SE to keep BC happy

If its an old agricultural building ,may not even have a dpc --farmers get away with everything 

Edited by scottishjohn

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

We have some steel with columns built off the foundation.  Engineer originally asked for the lower section to be meshed and concreted but we asked him to amend so he just spec'd 2 coats of bitumen.

bolted to  a foundation ?

thats has DPC belowit?

27 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

bolted to  a foundation ?

thats has DPC belowit?

No DPC below the foundation.  The base plates were bolted to the foundation with grout under and bitumen coated to above FFL. DPC on the blockwork to support beams for Beamshield floor, DPM, mesh and concrete topping.