Time lapse filming

Nick1c

I am thinking about recording the progress of our build, partly out of interest, partly for security and partly in case things go wrong. Brinno seems to be the camera of choice. I have looked on their website & the TLC100 looks to be the best as it has a wider viewing angle (140deg vs 112) - would those who have used one agree?

I also have a few related questions:

1 Does everyone working on the site have to give consent to be recorded, if so does it have to be in writing?

2 What is the best/safest way of siting them? We have an electricity pole directly in front of the site, I was thinking of putting it on it 15' or so off the ground using bungee cord. 

3 What is the best setting to use for the combination of security and record & do they have a motion sensor that can be set for 'out of office hours'?

They seem to be £165 or so on eBay, is this the best source - or has anyone finished with theirs? :D

17 minutes ago, Nick1c said:

1 Does everyone working on the site have to give consent to be recorded, if so does it have to be in writing?

It has been a few years since i actively used release forms but broadly speaking it your subject of filming is to catch the build itself not the people doing the build, they are considered incidental and you don't need to seek permission. HOwever based on what your saying if you want to document everything for interest then arguable that means the people working are the subject of the footage, therefore you have to get them to sign a release form even if you don't ever intend to publish the material. Just Google, 'actor release form' and it should get you what you need.

CCTV I know less about but again broadly if your purpose is security you have to define the area being monitored and if anyone requests a copy of footage of themselves whilst on site, you are obliged to provide them with a copy, but can charge a fee for this.

This might have been my first useful - semi educated reply on here - yayyyyyyyy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No problem. Maybe there is a cheaper option such as something like a go-pro style knock off - you know some sort of 50 quid option, which might suit. Obviously picture quality won't be as good, but you could potentially put several around the site and get more angles. COuld make for some interesting footage. Of course if you've the bunce for a handful of bcc100s then all the better

Gitup Git2 are often chosen by enthusiasts on a budget that doesn’t stretch to the equivalent GoPro.  Main problem with them and GoPro is battery life....and if you want them in the waterproof case you can’t tether them to a bigger external battery.  In my experience you have to drill quite deep into establishing the true capabilities of these things to do what you want....time lapse is obviously kinder to battery life than constant record but could easily miss a quick in-out theft