Can you solvent weld onto orange underground pipe

Pete

I have two stub pipes coming out of my slab in a recess so I can put in wet room showers. Due to a mistake we ended up not putting in socket ends which would have solved my problem. Can I solvent weld a grey boss coupler onto this orange pipe? I will try and ring the manufacturer to see what they say but just thought see what the people in the know think. TIA

don,t know about that but you could definately glue it on with a good PU adhesive --not sealer

try a test on some spare bits if you need convincing

something like sixaflex255 --used for bonding in car windscreens --that never lets go ,lots of other choices 

I bloody hope so! Not knowing any better I used brown by mistake from my wc:

2017-07-19_11-49-13

Backed it up with white CT1:

2017-07-17_10-50-33

Seemed to test OK. Fingers crossed as it's all boarded over and tiled now. 

Used Polypipe GFC100 adhesive.

I'm pretty sure we have had this discussion here before, as I remember looking up the material specs for all types of soil pipe.  It's all either ABS or PVC, and both can be joined with ordinary solvent cement OK. 

The usual caveats apply, in that solvent weld soil pipe joints shouldn't be used underground, as the push fit joints are intended to be able to tolerate movement due to settlement, whereas solvent weld joints won't have any give at all.

If in doubt as to whether any pipe will work with solvent weld, then it's easy enough to test a bit by just brushing a bit of adhesive on and seeing if it softens the pipe and dissolves it slightly.  IIRC, the solvent in the adhesive is usually a mix of dichloromethane and either acetone or MEK, and the cleaner used on the pipe and fittings before solvent welding is just acetone or MEK (MEK is a bit kinder to your hands than acetone).

They'll join up fine with solvent weld.

+1 to using a cleaner, and I also scratch the surfaces up first with 80 grit paper first so the shine is off them. Its also good if you can get a bit of a twist action rather than just push them home.

Polypipe solvent cement 'gap filler' is the glue for this. link. Don't use normal solvent weld if your not familiar with making these off as its much thinner and the gaps are greater with this mix of pipe / fittings types ;).

9 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

They'll join up fine with solvent weld.

+1 to using a cleaner, and I also scratch the surfaces up first with 80 grit paper first so the shine is off them. Its also good if you can get a bit of a twist action rather than just push them home.

Polypipe solvent cement 'gap filler' is the glue for this. link. Don't use normal solvent weld if your not familiar with making these off as its much thinner and the gaps are greater with this mix of pipe / fittings types ;).

Same GFC100 stuff I referred to though think mine is grey rather than "natural". You suggested it to me, maybe on eBuild even?

I remember now getting IPA (isopropyl alcohol) to clean the pipes after roughing up. 

Edited by Onoff