SSE Electricity Connection

Warrior89

Afternoon folks, hope you all had a nice Christmas.

I'm looking for a bit of advice / comparision before I get back in touch with SSE. I got an estimate for my electricity connection which was £5500 - 6000 with myself doing all the digging, reinstatement and supplying sand etc. Does this sound about right?

The estimate was also for a 6kVA supply when I asked for 12 - 16kVA.  So my question is, would 6kva be adequate for a single family house? Or would this be due to the transformer being near it's max capacity? Or maybe just a plain old typo.

Thanks

Connection.pdf

6KVA can't be correct as that is about 30A. They also say its a 100A service fuse on the drawings..?

155m of laid cable doesn't sound too bad at £6000, that has got 2 major joints plus overhead and underground work. For reference, I was charged £1350 for 4m where I installed the ducting and this was in an unmade road so the reinstatement was zero...

I was charged £13,000 for around 100m so I think yours sounds excellent.  Was originally quoted £8k but the council would only give permission for half the work to be done on a Sunday as it restricted access to a medical centre which bumped it up to £13

The 6KVA thing, I would keep quiet.  You have the same 100A connection to the local transformer so you are not personally limited to 6KVA at any one time, but if you all try and draw too much at the same time there may be issues.  My guess is if you ask for more you will be hit with a hefty bill to upgrade to a bigger transformer.

Thanks for the replies guys, it's greatly appreciated. I thought that was maybe the case with the 6kVA thing, I'll just leave it as is.

What would happen if they realised this in the future, do you reckon they would try and claw back the costs of a new transformer?