Partition Wall Construction and Underfloor Heating

Grosey

Hi, attached are a couple of my plans, 1st floor is the main living accommodation and will be beam and block construction.  Underfloor heating in screed. I am wondering about the proposed stud partitions, whether I should look to build them all from block instead first, so the rooms are defined then lay underfloor heating and screed? 

Or should I continue with marking out the stud walls, laying the underfloor appropriately, screeding and then building the stud work. 

My my thoughts on all this stem from wanting to put the manifold in the hallway cupboard that will not be built until the screed is complete - any advice on how to fix the manifold to something in the correct position almost floating in the middle of the room?

Ideally I'd place the manifold in the ground floor utility room where the boiler and other services will sit, but I hear this is not recommended. Ground floor and roof rooms will be radiators. 

1st floor plan.pdf

elevations.pdf

Ground floor plan.pdf

Your UFH runs will typically be planned out on a room by room basis with the room's runs entering and leaving through the door and using the hall as the route to the manifold. In general you should keep the runs away from any walls. This includes non load-bearing partitions.

Edited by TerryE

Mine has just been fitted in a block and beam floor all went through doorways apart from 2 rooms which have been acsessed by drilling through the dolly block, our manifold is sited in utility room although boiler will be outside, what reasons for not being in utility im intrigued?

• Like 1

Hi Jane,

Utility is on ground floor and all my living accommodation/underfloor heating is on 1st floor.  I've been reading it's best to have manifold on the same level as the UFH. 

• Like 1

Manifold can be above the loop, but not below it. 

Eg, you can have your 1st floor manifold drop downstairs for a single or multiple loops without a single issue. I did a big job ( 100m2 ) Ufh downstairs and manifolds under the 2nd storey stairwell upstairs. Works perfectly with 8 loops going down. 

Air is the biggest problem so the vent on the manifold needs to be the high point. ;)

• Like 1

I always considered if it was possible to put a single first floor loop by using an automatic air valve on a tee above the high point of the upstairs loop - it would mean the manifold could vent but it wouldn't be the highest point. 

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

I always considered if it was possible to put a single first floor loop by using an automatic air valve on a tee above the high point of the upstairs loop - it would mean the manifold could vent but it wouldn't be the highest point. 

Im a big believer in engineering a solution to suite the remit Peter, so yes your right, it can be done that way. The reason I haven't chirped up is that it's not easy to do and requires a joint / multiple joints to achieve. It's also not preferable to have an AAV ( automatic air vent / release ) in any position other than one of free and easy access so it can be inspected / replaced etc. 

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Im a big believer in engineering a solution to suite the remit Peter, so yes your right, it can be done that way. The reason I haven't chirped up is that it's not easy to do and requires a joint / multiple joints to achieve. It's also not preferable to have an AAV ( automatic air vent / release ) in any position other than one of free and easy access so it can be inspected / replaced etc. 

Challenge accepted @Nickfromwales..! 

I did consider you would need to make it accessible - under the sink in a bathroom was a thought. 

Need to do a bit more thinking but it's an option under investigation ..!