Choice of treatment plants

Stones

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

I think I am qualified to make a judgement.

When building the present house, 13 years ago, we paid a man with a JCB to install our septic tank. It was in March, so the water table was quite high.

He had dug the hole, and had the tank slung from the bucket of the JCB. He was just starting to lower it into the hole when "plop" a bit of the side of the hole fell in and deposited a big rock right in the middle where the tank was about to be placed.  Without thinking, I put a ladder down the hole, climbed down and moved the rock. Even the JCB driver told me that was a very very silly thing to do, even though it would have meant him untying the tank and using the bucket to remove the rock, then slinging it and trying again.

That's why in our ground I would never ever go into a hole that deep again. I would say you have to be pretty damn sure of your ground conditions before you can say it is "safe"

With all due respect, your comments above show you are only qualified to judge your own mistakes. If I had seen the side of the hole partly collapse there is no way I would have gone down the hole for any reason. That was the most ridiculous dangerous mistake you could make in that situation. If you knew there was danger of collapse why would you go down the hole? My situation and yours are different on so many levels they can't be compared. In my case the hole had been dug a few days before and the tank lowered in and removed before I installed the angle irons. As you say it's a good idea to know your ground conditions before doing the job.