Electric/water/gas/telecoms asset positioning

Big Neil

So lets say you have either an integral or attached garage. Does it make sense to plan in some space within it so you have a wall with everything on. Sort of like a dedicated plant room but just a wall in the garage. Everything this is, water cylinder, consumer unit, UFH manifold at least for the downstairs and maybe other bits i haven't thought of.

I'm just thinking in terms of saving inner space where possible. Likewise how many of you guys have wired all your telecoms/network bits to a little patch area likely in the loft, and then do with access points to get wi-fi signal in the living areas?

• Like 1

Careful with your hot water tank positioning.  imho that does not normally belong in a "plant room" unless your plant room is in the middle of the house.  It needs to be central to all the rooms that use hot water.  Mine has ended up in what will be an airing cupboard from the small bedroom as that was the most central location.

My telecoms / network / AV stuff is in the cupboard under the stairs. Wifi hub under there gives a workable signal in all rooms, but again the stairwell is central to the house.

UFH manifolds need to be central to the rooms they are serving to minimise pipe runs.

Thanks @ProDave. So there might be a saving if there is an integral garage  where one edge of the garage is near the centre of the house, but otherwise, the idea is try and be clever with the spacing. So maybe UFH manifold for downstairs in cupboard under the stairs and maybe in the loft for the upstairs rooms. Silly quewstion maybe, but other than having a shorter pipe run, what reason is there to centralise the cylinder for rooms (UFH aside) using hot water? I guess i get it for the UFH, but i can't see why it makes a difference for hot water outlets..