Extractor for Island in double height barn

SB33570

Hi - we are renovating a barn putting in a large island into which we want to install a hob and then extractor - though I doubt we will ever use the extractor. It has quickly become apparent that unless we go for Bora a gas hob is not a goer which is a shame but we were quoted between £7,000 and 9,500 for the classic configuration we liked and that is not doable for us. So we are now looking at either an induction and teppanyaki with a downdraft or an induction with an integrated vented extractor from Bosch, Neff etc which all seem to be pretty similar. We will be limited to recirculating rather than ductinc. Does anyone have any advice as I simply do not know where to begin we love cooking and want to maximise our area. The island is 1.5 m wide (2 sets of IKEA units and a gap between with a stainless steel worktop being made to measure).

Welcome! I'm not sure if you've found these threads that discuss extractors so I'll put the links here just in case. There are other threads too if you do a search. I don't have a hob in my island so have a different extractor, but I do have an induction hob. I never thought I would prefer electric to gas but induction is a gamechanger IMO. I doubt I would want to go back to gas again even if I lived in an area where mains gas was an option. It's sleek looking and instantly controllable; the 2 best bits about electric and gas in a single package IMO. 

And another pretty relevant one :). Have a read and then maybe start a thread in the kitchen appliances forum. You are more likely to get some more relevant replies there as some people only really read the forums that they are mostly interested in. Here's the link to start a new post:

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/forum/46-kitchen-household-appliances/?do=add

Bora is not gas its electric....induction. I would certainly go for the Bora over a Bosch, Neff etc with integrated extract in my view it is far superior. Downdraft is a personal taste thing really. I didnt want my clean lines broken by one and so went for the Bora having tested quite a few different options with integrated.  Some on here have Guttman, again personal choice I liked Bora better. 

Having cooked on gas  for eons I would never go back to it, I had the configuration with various different bits, wok burners electric bits the whole caboodle on huge hob.....but now no need for that mix good induction hobs are streets ahead....Bora have  a special pan that you get that turns part of the cooking area into a teppanyaki style cooking area its brilliant use it all the time, you need to have the flexi  induction though. 

Maybe you should go and test a few hobs before you buy.

1 hour ago, SB33570 said:

Hi - we are renovating a barn putting in a large island into which we want to install a hob and then extractor - though I doubt we will ever use the extractor. It has quickly become apparent that unless we go for Bora a gas hob is not a goer which is a shame but we were quoted between £7,000 and 9,500 for the classic configuration we liked and that is not doable for us. So we are now looking at either an induction and teppanyaki with a downdraft or an induction with an integrated vented extractor from Bosch, Neff etc which all seem to be pretty similar. We will be limited to recirculating rather than ductinc. Does anyone have any advice as I simply do not know where to begin we love cooking and want to maximise our area. The island is 1.5 m wide (2 sets of IKEA units and a gap between with a stainless steel worktop being made to measure).

I’m installing a lux air as we speak

All singing all dancing Remote controlled Sounds like a jet engine when tuned upto four 

£800 

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
On 27/10/2018 at 14:11, lizzie said:

Bora is not gas its electric....induction. I would certainly go for the Bora over a Bosch, Neff etc with integrated extract in my view it is far superior. Downdraft is a personal taste thing really. I didnt want my clean lines broken by one and so went for the Bora having tested quite a few different options with integrated.  Some on here have Guttman, again personal choice I liked Bora better. 

Having cooked on gas  for eons I would never go back to it, I had the configuration with various different bits, wok burners electric bits the whole caboodle on huge hob.....but now no need for that mix good induction hobs are streets ahead....Bora have  a special pan that you get that turns part of the cooking area into a teppanyaki style cooking area its brilliant use it all the time, you need to have the flexi  induction though. 

Maybe you should go and test a few hobs before you buy.

Interesting you mentioned  you would choose bora over bosch etc...why is that? Have you used others before the bora? I'm trying to figure our the differences but there seems to be little info on bora..extraction rates/price etc

8 hours ago, dannyboy123 said:

Interesting you mentioned  you would choose bora over bosch etc...why is that? Have you used others before the bora? I'm trying to figure our the differences but there seems to be little info on bora..extraction rates/price etc

I did not know bosch did an integrated one but there are a lot of copycats coming on the market now.

I chose Bosch over the others of the same type on the market at the time as I preferred the way it looked, I preferred the way it cooked and it was quiet. It has an auto extraction setting which being lazy I use all the time I cant remember the last time I used a manual settingfor the extraction as the auto is so spot on.  I have recirculation as I have MVHR.  My Bora flexi circa 3k if I remember correctly

2 hours ago, lizzie said:

I did not know bosch did an integrated one but there are a lot of copycats coming on the market now.

I chose Bosch over the others of the same type on the market at the time as I preferred the way it looked, I preferred the way it cooked and it was quiet. It has an auto extraction setting which being lazy I use all the time I cant remember the last time I used a manual settingfor the extraction as the auto is so spot on.  I have recirculation as I have MVHR.  My Bora flexi circa 3k if I remember correctly

Thanks for the info. The bora certainly looks like the bench mark.