Saving Postie Ryan ('s feet)

Following on from this post , and to prevent the Post Office suing us, I've been doing some experiments on mending the sandstone door post; and this is what I found.

I decided on an experiment to see how I could glue one piece of sandstone to another. Using one of the many sandstone boulders lying around our garden (£5:00 each to anyone who'll come and take them away) ....

• I split one of the boulders straight down the middle. Easy.
  • I drilled a hole straight through both halves of the stone and inserted a 12mm threaded rod to act as a pin.
  • I glued (well, resin bonded) the threaded rod into place.
  • And slid the two halves together

In a couple of the boulders in the trial holes I drilled, the sandstone split. I don't want to repeat that experience when I do it for real on the doorpost.

To make the holes, I used a cheap generic 14mm drill bit and a hand-held Bosch drill.

How can I reduce the chance of splitting the sandstone on the doorpost? As I see it, I have a good chance of making the problem worse - splitting even more of the sandstone out of the doorpost.

IMG_20160718_160713.jpg 

In short; smaller holes.

You don't need 14mm. The rod(s) are just to provide bonding strength and (in this situation) are not doing anything structural.

You'll easily get away with 5mm, probably perfectly fine with 3mm rods.

Drill your holes slowly with a simple arrow head tile bit. Or get fancy and use a diamond core drill.

EDIT: No hammer action!

EDIT (2): Rods must be stainless. Threaded is good as extra surface area for bonding.

Edited by Barney12
EDIT: No hammer action!

17 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Using one of the many sandstone boulders lying around our garden (£5:00 each to anyone who'll come and take them away) ....

If you keep drilling them in half then eventually you wont have boulders. Just small stones.

Simples! :D

Just now, recoveringacademic said:

Oh dear, another excuse to buy tools :D

Absolutely. I have assumed in the arrow head bit scenario that the sandstone is fairly soft. But, if not you absolutely must go and buy some diamond core drills. ;)