Thinnest known floor slab?

Tony K

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The Party Wall Agreement is a good point, that close and it may well be required as the 45 deg rule means that the horizontal distance in from the bottom of any foundation system is going to project a fair distance over the boundary.

Mini piles will be used with a slab on top so shouldn't be an issue. 

12 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Mini piles will be used with a slab on top so shouldn't be an issue. 

Doesn't that depend on how far away any structure is on the neighbours side, though?  I had a feeling that consent or notice was still required even with relatively benign piling systems like screw piles.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

Doesn't that depend on how far away any structure is on the neighbours side, though?  I had a feeling that consent or notice was still required even with relatively benign piling systems like screw piles.

I think it's only if their foundation is close by rather than their land. 

8 minutes ago, Tony K said:

I think it's only if their foundation is close by rather than their land. 

Yes, it normally only applies to structures, so if there are no structures within the proscribed distance ( a 45 degree line drawn outwards from the lowest point of the foundation system) then I think you're in the clear.

As @PeterW says, though, you're either going to have to get the neighbours permission to erect scaffolding on his land or just trespass and hope that he doesn't materialise and force you to remove it.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

As @PeterW says, though, you're either going to have to get the neighbours permission to erect scaffolding on his land or just trespass and hope that he doesn't materialise and force you to remove it.

Shouldn't need to. It's single storey and that wall will be blocks laid over hand from my side. 

28 minutes ago, Tony K said:

Shouldn't need to. It's single storey and that wall will be blocks laid over hand from my side. 

You will need  scaffolding to put on the roof and tile it. If the  gable is at the side beside the tree you  will  need  scaffold for it as well. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Can’t see how you can fit verge, gutters or anything else on that side from a 10” gap..?

Is now the time to get to know the neighbour properly if you’re going to be there for some time ..??

I know him well enough already to be making arrangements which don't rely on his cooperation!

The land came with our house, we've lived here for 15 years, he lives miles away and rents it out. Limited access for bits of roofing is something I can work out with the tenant if need be. 

• 4 weeks later...

now i don,t about english law ,but in scotland anything hanging over from nieghbour you can cut off .

so maybe you cut off the roots on your side of boundary  and build foundation at least at that point down to below where roots are ?.

in scotland you cannot build within 1 m of boundary as well --

So i am suprised you can even build within 10" anyway