I'm also back (from other place)

jayroc2k

:-)

I gave up on trying to find a plot (too pricey) and bought a Victorian town house in need of full renovation. Bit of me felt sad at that decision, however, this will give me plenty to do, think about, ask and share!

• Like 1

Snap! We just bought an Victorian end terrace to renovate as we couldnt find a suitably affordable plot.but I am still not giving up on the house build.  We will find a plot someday!  Welcome!!

Where is the house?  which part of the country are you in?

Edited by TheMitchells

House in south London. Purchased just before 'Brexit'. Inteprete that as you may!  Hopefully someday I'll find a plot for the next move. 

Unfortunately, after a weeks of removing render, tiles and fixtures, I have come to one conclusion. Victorians house builders were b!00dy Cowboys!!! ?

And yet, people up and down the country think of Victorian house as 'properly built'.

A guy we had do some building work for us is working on his own extension to a Victorian house.  He's just learned that the building inspector wants 3m deep footings due to the soil he's on.  He pointed out that the Victorian house has one foot deep footings and is still standing without cracks 100+ years later. 

Oh, and he has no access for even a mini digger, so all has to be dug by hand (which I guess the Victorians did too!)