Foundation detail

James13

Hello All

I know this topic comes up a fair bit. Could someone tell me what the best material would be to use on the circled area? I am using the Jetfloor system -

Foamglas is coming in really expensive & Fonterra (jet floor) are telling me to use an Aircrete block.

The timber frame will sit on this.

Cheers

James

IMG_0936.JPG

With a compression strength of 2.9 compared to that of 7.3KN of the aircrete block - will this cause a problem - Also as that block will need to be 150mm (140 Foamglas +10mm bed) Foamdglas is pretty expensive (extra 2400 pounds than I budgeted for this part of the build). Is this the way forward you believe?

Yes James, those pics were last September. Detail was all approved by SE, BCO and Scandia Hus before timber frame was erected.

Edited by NSS
typo

4 minutes ago, James13 said:

@nss you have the same detail I am looking for - the insulation in your cavity is this 50mm? and did you just go around any air ventilation blocks?

We added 40mm foamglass in the cavity from just below the Perinsul to level with DPC and cut around the telescopic vents.

Edited by NSS

2 hours ago, NSS said:

We added 40mm foamglass in the cavity from just below the Perinsul to level with DPC and cut around the telescopic vents.

This is what I was planning on doing, and this does not matter about filling that cavity do you not think?

Hi James, although the diagram on my blog shows 50mm foamglass in the cavity  (ie full fill through that section), we reduced it 40mm because the Scandia Hus wall panels have 'skirt' of the breather membrane that we have tucked in between the foamglass and the outer brickwork. This means any condensation that runs down the breather will find it's way into the void below rather than sitting above the insulation. I'm not sure I have any pics of this detail but will have a look tomorrow and post here if I find anything useful.

On 27 July 2016 at 18:59, NSS said:

James, I don't believe you need to fill all that 150mm depth with perinsul. We have a similar arrangement but used a coursing brick over the Perinsul. You can see it here http://strawberrytreelodge.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/stage-2-blockwork-drainage-perinsul-and.html?m= 

Ahhh, 'tis true. A picture speaks a thousand words. :)