Unglazed porcelain tiles as kitchen splashback

vivienz

I've found some lovely metallic effect porcelain tiles that I would like to use as a splashback between the wall and base units in the kitchen of the new place.  To my knowledge, I've never used unglazed tiles before, apart from cheap quarry tiles.  Are there any drawbacks that I should be aware of before going down this route?

8 hours ago, vivienz said:

I've found some lovely metallic effect porcelain tiles that I would like to use as a splashback between the wall and base units in the kitchen of the new place.  To my knowledge, I've never used unglazed tiles before, apart from cheap quarry tiles.  Are there any drawbacks that I should be aware of before going down this route?

I would ask them about cleaning, and also about whether the surface will absorb things like grease - though that is presumably well away.

I guess that if necessary you could coat them with something really robust; someone will know what if necessary.

I imagine that they would need to be sealed? Like @Ferdinand I would worry about staining in areas such as near the hob although that said people use quarry tiles and slate etc on the floor and it does ok. Metallic effect? Wonder how much you will need to buff them to keep them looking decent? Might be the granite worktop nightmare. 

In the little brown bungalow I used a black 600x600 black porcelain floor tile as my splash back behind the hob.

All the sheds demanded that their tiles be sealed, but I eventually found one place that did not mandate that. But it was from a smaller trade supplier so they could just be less hot on the guidance.

Any chance of finding a glazed version?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Get a cook so it is an S.E.P. ?

:ph34r:

I wish!

I think the unglazed tiles may be okay as the splashback is behind a sink and work surface rather than the hob, which is on the island. I shall carry on looking though, as these were just one example of the colour/pattern type I'm looking at. I dare say I will change my mind again before I'm done.