Staircase measurements - how accurate?

Jude1234

I have got a quote from Stairbox for my staircase/landing balustrade.  However before I order I wanted my builder to check that I had the correct measurements.  Time and again I have sent him the detailed quote and asked him to check with no response.  The last correspondence I had was just that the total rise was 2525.  Am I worrying too much about this?  Can I go ahead and order and if it is a few mm out can the fitter easily adjust.  The staircase is mainly mdf with oak strings, hand rail base rail with glass inserts.  Apparently the glass inserts get sent later after the staircase has been fitted.

I had a stairbox staircase and they are good in my opinion (and my builders). Just get two of you to measure it, twice. Two heads are better than one. Yes a good fitter will be used to “trimming/packing” to fit.

• Thanks 1

@PeterW is correct. Its one of the things that keeps me awake at night, contemplating the section through the stairs..

You need to know if the downstairs floor covering, carpet, timber ect is to go under the stairs or around the base and seat the stairs on the floor slab. Also what is the floor covering at first floor. Take the measurement with the builder. i.e. measure from whatever you are seating the stars on to wherever the top of the stairs will be. if its carpet, then I would think you need ground floor slab to top of first floor timber. make sure you and the builder are ok with what you measure and give this to the stair manufacturer to work to. Easy!

• Thanks 1

I did not take into account carpet but I wedged the bottom off the floor to allow for tiles, after tiling I let it fall on the tiles then fixed it to the wall. We have a half landing which makes it even more difficult but as made the half landing myself I just built it to fit the  walls.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jude1234 said:

I have got a quote from Stairbox for my staircase/landing balustrade.  However before I order I wanted my builder to check that I had the correct measurements.  Time and again I have sent him the detailed quote and asked him to check with no response.  The last correspondence I had was just that the total rise was 2525.  Am I worrying too much about this?  Can I go ahead and order and if it is a few mm out can the fitter easily adjust.  The staircase is mainly mdf with oak strings, hand rail base rail with glass inserts.  Apparently the glass inserts get sent later after the staircase has been fitted.

Who ever is making the stairs needs to come and measure up 

Most will do it free of charge

• Thanks 1

Just now, nod said:

Who ever is making the stairs needs to come and measure up 

Most will do it free of charge

Problem is that a lot of the cheaper manufacturers (Pears, StairBox,StairsOnline etc) all expect you to measure. Local ones that do bespoke normally measure for you.

• Thanks 1

I did the measurements myself for Stairbox.  The joiner was very impressed with the stairs for what they cost.  I allowed for adding the UFH height to the lower set and taking it off for the upper set.  

What I didn't allow for was boarding and plastering the wall in the area as I misunderstood and thought that as the plastering was happening later the stairs would fix straight to the walls.  The joiner just set his saw up and cut all 14 treads and risers to the correct size in about 19 -15 minutes each set.  

Luckily I got the height spot on.  Though he did say if it was a few mm out he could adjust - so long as it was just a few.

• Thanks 1

It depends on how it arrives from the manufacturer. Mine came with tread/riser stair assembly all in one piece, all balustrade,  and all other bits loose. I needed a joiner. To fit altogether along with internal balcony  balustrade took a full day.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

I think the Stair Box ones come ready assembled so I will try and book a joiner for a day

Staircase will do either assembled or in kit form.  I went for kit form as there is only a driver so there has to be someone on site who can help with lifting and I couldn't guarantee that.  

My joiner took less than a day to trim the stairs to size, and fit from kit form.  (one staircase x 8 stairs and one x 6 stairs each a slightly different width)

• Thanks 1