Oak Stair treads

Alex

Hi all, 

just wondering whether anyone has sourced Oak stair treads and have any recommendations. I'm building my own open riser staircase and need 12 x 60mm treads. Have talked to a couple of local joiners down here (Devon) and have got wildly differing quotes or aren't interested in quoting which I find odd! 

thanks

Alex

I did a load of work on some 60mm thick oak treads for a friend they were green oak and I used the cnc machine I have access to so as to put pockets in the bottom and drill fixing holes. It worked out very well once he had put them all up and he dud expect some splitting to make them more rustic.

Edited by MikeSharp01

I was talking to a cabinet maker about oak treads for my cantilevered stairs. He recommended not using solid oak in case it craves or distorts over time. instead he recommended some sort of engineered board such ask oak veneered ply. You might be OK as your treads are thicker (the cantilevered stairs ones are essentially a hollow sleeve that slots onto the steel tread.

Have you looked on ebay?

I have found a joiner on ebay whose price is similar to other quotes (approx £95 a tread) and uses engineered oak treads. pictures look ok but I'm always nervous when using ebay!! especially when its spending nearly £1500 on treads and apron and delivery...