New electric supply - any cashback offers

Jude1234

Didn't know which section to add this to, hope its okay here.

We need to get our electricity supply connected and are used to 'switching' to get the best deal.  But just wondered if cashback sites etc offer deals for new supplies.  We are looking for a supplier that will come and install an Economy 7 meter.  Any advice on any new customer deals greatly appreciated.

Nope as meters are free

Go with Eon, get the meter installed on the standard variable quarterly billed E7 tariff and then as soon as you have your MPAN and meter you start the switch. 

They will usually install in 10-15 working days.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jude1234 said:

Shall I get a smart meter fitted as well?

I already have the MPAN, just need the meter fitted.

Only if you WANT a smart meter?

What reason can you give me that a smart meter will be a benefit to YOU?

• Thanks 1

Aren’t there still issues with switching suppliers if you have a smart meter? I’m avoiding having one forever if I can. No interest in it. Just want them to get my bills correct using the current system first! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jude1234 said:

To be honest I hadn't really researched the smart meter, are they a bad idea then?

They are sold to you on the basis that you will save energy. But ONLY if you watch the display like a hawk, realise how much is being used, and turn something off.

The hidden agenda, is smart meters have half hourly metering built in, so have the ability (only 1 supplier implements it so far) to charge different rates at different times of day. Are you happy to pay much more if you want to cook your dinner in the normal early evening "meal time"?

• Thanks 1

And by different rates, we're talking about following the half hourly wholesale price fluctuations, which is the primary reason the suppliers want people to fit smart meters - they want to remove the risk they currently bear of having to guess what the ,mean price will be over a period of time and use that to set their tariffs.  The half hourly tariff variations, when they come into force (which they certainly will for those with smart meters) will vary between somewhere close to zero pence per unit in negative wholesale pricing periods (it does happen that the price goes negative at the moment) to around 30 pence per unit at peak times.  Often people won't be able to avoid peak times - for example early evening is very often a peak time, and most people will still want to eat, watch TV etc.

The main problem with smart meters is that domestic suppliers will end up with less freedom to choose than they might think.  It's great to think that the grid can be better balanced (which is what this is about, fundamentally) by dissuading people from using electricity at peak times, by charging them very high prices, but a lot of people simply won't have much choice but to pay the high rates, unless they invest in something like battery storage, or switch to using bottled gas for cooking, perhaps.  They'd also have to give up boiling the kettle in advert breaks, or at the end of sporting events, as those are traditionally peak rate times, too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/08/2018 at 10:18, PeterW said:

Nope as meters are free

Go with Eon, get the meter installed on the standard variable quarterly billed E7 tariff and then as soon as you have your MPAN and meter you start the switch. 

They will usually install in 10-15 working days.  

I have Eon coming on Wednesday morning to install the meter, does the electricity get turned on at the same time or is there a further wait? I forgot to ask and now Eon are closed until Monday.  Trying to plan the next steps and need the electricity on to power the UFH to dry the screed.

5 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

I have Eon coming on Wednesday morning to install the meter, does the electricity get turned on at the same time or is there a further wait? I forgot to ask and now Eon are closed until Monday.  Trying to plan the next steps and need the electricity on to power the UFH to dry the screed.

Mine did.  And so the standing charge starts too - even though there is nothing connected to it yet.

• Thanks 1