Neighbour proposing Building over Lateral Sewer?

Ferdinand

I am just after an orientation on what happens here.

A neighbour has an Application to build a house over the bit of land where a lateral sewer (ie my waste pipe through his plot) runs. There are between two and four neighbours connected to this waste pipe, all owned by the applicant. The waste pipe will have been adopted under the recent Act, but it may well not be known to the water company.

Now clearly this could be accommodated using foundation bridges, rodding points and an appropriate sort of agreement etc, but I would welcome comments on how to tackle this.

My preference is that it not be built over. I have no idea whether the chap knows it exists.

Who do I go to? Planning, water company or building control?

Cheers

F

Build over a Severn Trent lateral requires a build over agreement being signed and paid for by the applicant. 

If he hasn’t made this application then he’s breaching the regulations and they could make him dig it up. 

Cheers.

Just had a useful chat with ST. They do not have any lateral sewers there on there computer .. hardly surprised since it is 1900 vintage, so I need to get a bit of info together, and tell them and Planning and Building Control.

It is not a relevant planning consideration aiui, but it can only help to tell them.

Ferdinand

Certainly with Thames Water you are not allowed to build a new house over an existing sewer, so it has to be moved or the plans changed.  Worthwhile checking in ST build over agreement application wether it has the same.  Building over a sewer will also have to be agreed by Building Control.

Edited by Jml