Septic tank company in Scotland

MrsM

Can anyone recommend a company to install a septic tank and possibly rainwater soakaway in Scotland? We are in Perthshire. Also, does anyone know if we can do our own percolation test (will this be accepted by planning and building standards)? Hubby used to do them all the time in his previous work.

I did my own percolation tests and building control accepted them.

Any ground works contractor with a digger will be able to install the plant.  Make sure they follow the instructions properly and concrete it in if it needs it.

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

I did my own percolation tests and building control accepted them.

Any ground works contractor with a digger will be able to install the plant.  Make sure they follow the instructions properly and concrete it in if it needs it.

Highland must be quite relaxed! Neither Perth or Kinross, nor Orkney would accept percolation test result done by me, insisting on an engineer or similar.  Damned annoying as its not difficult following the procedure, just a little time consuming.  

There are a lot of variations in what councils accept.  For instance I am not a member of any electrical competent persons scheme, yet Highland, Moray and Invernessshire accept an EIC that I give them for a new install.  I am told that for instance Borders council will only accept a certificate if you are a member of a competent persons scheme.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

There are a lot of variations in what councils accept.  For instance I am not a member of any electrical competent persons scheme, yet Highland, Moray and Invernessshire accept an EIC that I give them for a new install.  I am told that for instance Borders council will only accept a certificate if you are a member of a competent persons scheme.

Yes I was told I had to get an electrician to sign off that was registered with SELECT despite hubby fitting it all and having been an electrician in a former life. 

Edited by newhome

Ah ok, thanks that’s helpful. It’s a shame Perth and Kinross won’t let you do your own test, it’s not rocket science and seems like we’re just paying a guy £200 quid to pour water in a hole and stand with a timer. Such is life.

Update: got hold of building starts in Perth and Kinross and they have said that we don’t need to get a professional to do the percolation test as long as we follow the guidance in the building standards technical handbook. Yay! She did start off by saying that all the previous tests had been done by engineers but when I pushed a bit further she checked with someone confirmed it wasn’t an actual requirement.