Hone Solar Thermal

Mackers

52 minutes ago, pdf27 said:

I assume you've already got something like this? https://www.barriquand.com/en/heat-exchangers-industrial-laundry

I'd start by tracing where all the energy goes, identifying where it enters and leaves the system and at what temperatures. Picking technologies before you have a very good idea of the problem you're trying to solve is usually a bad idea.

Thanks but this is a new build. Im starting by getting ideas until the client has decided on layout etc. 

There will be an extensive BMS system with analytics of data for predictive maintenance etc. Also some new valves and ideas around VFDs for the AHUs and pumps.

Im really just brain storming to get some ideas to research further. I did my MEng in Energy so very well versed in PV etc but never hurts to immerse yourself in some research

We are having a wood pellet burner installed it looks pretty much like an inset wood burner but by having the pellets we will get the interest free loan and also rhi payments, it will be installed by a very knowledgable chap at greenflame installations who are based in grantown on Spey but he does work all over the country, it will feed into a thermal store and he has suggested solar thermal for heating the water in summer thus doing away with the need to light the burner and he has already done this for clients who report it works well, he’s definitely worth talking to 

27 minutes ago, Mackers said:

Thanks but this is a new build. Im starting by getting ideas until the client has decided on layout etc. 

There will be an extensive BMS system with analytics of data for predictive maintenance etc. Also some new valves and ideas around VFDs for the AHUs and pumps.

Im really just brain storming to get some ideas to research further. I did my MEng in Energy so very well versed in PV etc but never hurts to immerse yourself in some research

You can still do much the same sort of thing - you presumably know the basics of the process (washing, drying, ironing, etc.) and the sequencing. That should give you some ideas of resources used (water and heat) and from that you can start looking at ways to reduce them. Water recycling is an obvious route (e.g. https://www.waterworld.com/articles/iww/2016/09/water-recycling-system-for-commercial-laundry-users-benfits-from-pertnership-between-concurrent-technologies-corporation-water-energy-technologies.html) - particularly if you can keep the recycled water hot before feeding it back into the system, as are heat pump driers like http://www.primuslaundry.com/_media/primus-aacebe969ab4c553bb29cdc38daee2ad/primus_evo4_drying_technology_eng.pdf. However, without looking at the requirements of the process you might be missing something obvious.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Christine Walker said:

We are having a wood pellet burner installed it looks pretty much like an inset wood burner but by having the pellets we will get the interest free loan and also rhi payments, it will be installed by a very knowledgable chap at greenflame installations who are based in grantown on Spey but he does work all over the country, it will feed into a thermal store and he has suggested solar thermal for heating the water in summer thus doing away with the need to light the burner and he has already done this for clients who report it works well, he’s definitely worth talking to 

Once the waters hot, thats it. With PV you can still heat the water via an immersion, and then it can go on to offset your electricity consumption. ST cannot. 

• Like 1