Gebrit flush plate faux pas

We're just doing bathroom second fix and have made a faux pas with the Gebrit flush plates.

We have a Gebrit Sigma 60 cistern with the 12cm flush plate.

We ordered these at the same time but now the plumbers are trying to fit them, we've realised that we should have either ordered the bezel version or used the mounting frame which I believe is the correct partner to the plates we bought.

We have two of the three bathrooms tiled and the tiles neatly(ish) go round the box that sticks out from the cistern so we'd either have to remove them, install the mounting frame and replace the tiles OR swap for the bezel version (not sure if this needs the mounting frame, don't think so) and make good between the tiles and flush plate with a bit of grout and sealant.

Other option is to get the non flush version that sits proud of the tiles and would cover the tile cut entirely.

Thoughts?

I've not yet seen the flush ones tbh, and I like the look, a LOT. 

I'd say take the tiles off in a heartbeat, but the only problem will be if you've stuck them to plasterboard the tiles will take it with them and open a hell of a can of worms up. 

Whats the score with the tiles? PB / other? Type of adhesive ?

Tiles on skimmed PB, I'd already had the rooms skimmed (as they're part tile, part paint) before I saw your advice not to. Not sure if this helps or hinders.

If I go down that path, it's the top row of tiles, one room has two tiles meeting equally at the flush plate and the other is a single tile centered on the plate.

Tiler is away until Monday and has yet to do our ensuite walls so a few days to formulate a plan and get the other one right.

Don't have any of the other options in hand yet so can't comment on whether there is a lip - plan is to buy one of each on Amazon just now and see what works best - return the rest.

Among todays other successes was being informed that the noggins for the sinks were nowhere to be seen when he put the mounts on for the cabinet that supports them (per the instructions that we never read). Checked my photos and looks like the bottom of the noggin was 30mm above the fitting - entirely our mistake. It feels solid enough with fixings through tile and into the PB but I think we'll have him lift it up a bit to make sure it's being held solidly.

Took delivery of the Gebrit Sigma 60 'roughing plate' (their official name for the mounting frame) today and see where we went wrong. 

For anyone considering a similar Gebrit 'flush' flush plate, you need to have the mounting frame kit before you even board over the concealed Gebrit cistern frame.

It comes in two parts, a template box and the frame itself - the corrugated plastic flush plate box that ships with the frame should not be used, instead the template box is attached and plater / tile board trimmed to fit neatly round it. 

Once the wall is ready for tiling, this box is disposed off and the final frame is mounted. The inner chrome bezel is depth adjustable to come out flush with the finished tile level and then the actual flush plate is attached.

Even though we had not tiled one bathroom yet, was still tricky to get the corrugated box off the frame without damaging the workings behind  - however all sorted now. 

To your question Nick, there is no lip - tiles need to be cut neatly and grouted to the edge of the frame. 

Need to have a chat with the tilers tomorrow to see if it's feasible to remove the existing tiles in the other two rooms or to go with a clip over system.

Megabad are happy to accept returns and refund if the original plates are not suitable.

Also got the plumber to move the basins to catch the noggins, although in doing this, it's now just on the grout line of one of the tiles we would need to remove so we may have snookered ourselves there!

Taking tiles off will end in tears me thinks. You'll not separate the tiles from the plasterboard without nigh on destroying the PB. Multi tooling between the grout lines and removing the tile and PB in one is the way I go about it. Patching back in is ridiculously hard work, ( details available on request ), but may be impossible if there's no void eg the PB is tight against the frame or cistern etc. 

Whats your tilers take on removing the tiles?

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Taking tiles off will end in tears me thinks. You'll not separate the tiles from the plasterboard without nigh on destroying the PB. Multi tooling between the grout lines and removing the tile and PB in one is the way I go about it. Patching back in is ridiculously hard work, ( details available on request ), but may be impossible if there's no void eg the PB is tight against the frame or cistern etc. 

Whats your tilers take on removing the tiles?

I'll let you know tomorrow but I agree, probably not the way we will go for those two rooms. We did skim the PB if that makes it any easier?

When I saw what you were ordering a few weeks ago I couldn't work out if you were getting the extra kit to go with the plate. Even though I really like them I decided they were just too expensive by the time you bought both parts. It is all a bit of punt trying to order all the correct stuff in German. Good luck sorting it out.