Drain flies

AliG

Hi,

For weeks we could smell something in the downstairs WC.

The builder kept saying that it was probably just that the extractor wasn't connected up.

Eventually though water started to leak into the WC along with drain flies appearing.

The leak has been fixed, but the flies are still there.

The leak was from an in wall cistern.

It seems that we have some water logging inside the wall and I now think it needs to be dismantled to get rid of the flies.

Has anyone ever seen screed get waterlogged however, noticeably the floor in the WC and the cupboard next to it are constantly way cold than the rest of the house, even in the current weather. I wonder if this is due to constant evaporation of water from somewhere. There is even now a small amount of moulding a corner.

As I say it looks like at the very least the wall needs to be dismantled but is there anything else we should be looking for before we put it back together?

Thanks

Edited by AliG

I think that’s what was happening. We kept saying there was a smell but only when the leak came into the WC did the builder believe there was a problem.

Unfortunately I think that means it is totally waterlogged behind. He hopes he can just let it dry out but I think it’s too late 

2 hours ago, AliG said:

Thanks. The builder wants to look into the void with a camera.

So you reckon its stagnant water sitting in there not rotten wood or tile board?

It takes a very long time for things to 'rot'. It should dry out, and a good spray with a bleach solution should take care of the smells. They won't go by themselves. Will be a week of forced ventilation and a week of deodorising at the very least. 

Shit happens though, and given the size and complexity of your build, I'd not get too hung up on it. ;)

"Adapt, and overcome". 

It's more just an annoyance, although if he had listened to us that there was a problem it would have been fixed before it got worse.

They seem t get worried that we want use of the WC back and try and fix it quickly. We have plenty of toilets, we have tried to impress that we want it fixed correctly not quickly!

Edited by AliG

I would be worried about standing water soaking timbers somewhere with nowhere to drain to until it eventually evaporates. I would want to see what has happened, otherwise there may be a nasty surprise in the future.