The great Bi-Fold and DPC Enigma

Ed_MK

Morning All...

I never really considered this (well that's me) until it now comes time to do the screeding and get the outside gullies and stuff done on 
our new build ...

VERY early on the wife said she wanted bifolds ....or at least some way that the patio would be open to the kitchen on a LEVEL surface ...

She has always loved them on these programs that hark on about "outside-in" and  having a "seamless" look ....(sigh)

She did manage to source some decent thick (and large) ceramic tiles that are suitable for the kitchen, sunroom and of course the patio area ...

...but... HOW THE HELL CAN IT BE DONE ??

First ....there is a 150mm (ish) block on edge around the perimeter of all doorway bases ...presumable to contain the insulation and screed.
Secondly ....there is the exterior DPC is of course (or at least it will be when the brickie is done) 150mm above the finished ground level  ..as you would expect, to follow
the rules, which i presume are there to stop rot and damp creeping into brickwork ,...which is good!

So with the above in mind ....HOW, can it be possible to have the internal floor (after tiling) which will be say 170mm above the B&B Top to be level
with the exterior ground tile level ...WITHOUT building the patio ABOVE the DPC ?!?!

I cannot drop the floor screed, thats just lunacy ... ...but then if i raise the ground level outside ..it will open up a can of worms (most of the said worms will of course be able to crawl
right into the kitchen too :)

Pass the fluoxetine !

I am CRAP at explaining things ...so I can feel one my little sketches coming on ....another masterpiece of highlighter and biro me thinks 

2levelmystery.JPG

Edited by Ed_MK

I have level threshold sliders and external doors on an mbc slab. We have a french drain right around the perimiter and aco slot drains on all hard surfaced areas. I didnt want the gravel gap I wanted my tiles flush with threshold for the seamless look. To my untrained eye the way we have done it does the job. Bifolds would be similar I imagine. Both the BCO and build warranty inspector were happy with ours.

I’m not sure if this will help with the external ground level But the internal block across each doorway can be nicked out and the screed returned against the external brick

Heres a couple of pictures that I took for BC

6B85335F-3A2C-4A14-BEDA-3BD9BD22F4F6.jpeg

36015F10-8C3F-4AC7-80A4-79EE08D71A72.jpeg

5F0D1D48-36A5-4ADF-8C88-DF161E52ACAE.jpeg

F5078234-3559-43EE-A460-36267A670CE4.jpeg