Adding legal expenses insurance to site cover.

I tend towards minimizing insurance cover in all matters, for example I never opt for accidental cover on home insurance. My philosophy is personal responsibility and as it happens I have never made an insurance claim in my life.

So onto self build site insurance. I have parred down my Protek quote to under £350 by removing cover for a site hut and personal tools. Bumping up the excess to £1000 knocked another 15% off the premium.

I am now looking at a £30 option to add £25,000 of legal expenses cover. This feels like a good move but I cannot come up with a scenario where this would actually be used in anger. In my case there is no main contractor to sue.

All I can think of is if my concrete did not cure or a helping hand fabricated a medical injury. Am I over looking other potential self builder legal battles?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

How much hired in cover have you got on that..? It seems very cheap, or is it just covering public liability and employers liability..?? How much have you got for build cost..?

Yes and yes, plus £180k rebuild cost for a 2-story 140 sqm home, Spons say -6% on regional cost variation for me. With Protek there is only a Public Liability option but this includes employers public liability.

See my other question about under-insurance.

What if a helping hand had an accident and served court papers on you? You say ‘fabricated’ a site accident but what if there was actually one, ‘fabricated’ or not? 

I’ve been in that position and was glad that I never had to do anything but liaise with a legal team and hand over papers from solicitors and the court when received. 

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

What if a helping hand had an accident and served court papers on you? You say ‘fabricated’ a site accident but what if there was actually one, ‘fabricated’ or not?

As my insurer would eventually face the cost of the claim would they not be motivated to deal with this situation?

Does the basic cover include defending claims against you before liability is proven? They only need to pay out if the event is covered by their policy and liability is accepted or proven. 

A question to ask the insurance company no doubt. TBH £30 is so tiny I personally wouldn’t risk not having it.