Ordering timescales post foundation dig.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I keep postponing this task for some reason, probably due to it been an unfamiliar business environment and I do not yet know all the trade lingo.

Yesterday I arranged a long term loan of a beat up transit for my self build which means I can now start to store lighter materials in a secure building at my current address. Going to need a lot of drainage and other underground plastic soon.

Whoever you do go with get the email address of the sales rep. It's a lot easier to order the correct stuff when you are writing it down. How many times do you go to buy stuff, groceries clothes etc and forget what you really went for.

It's also a good record to have so you can keep checking up on what you ordered, how much and when it was placed. 

And just because you said you would only use the chosen building merchants doesn't mean it's a pinky promise type deal. Always lift the phone and check just to make sure your getting the best deal and if not speak up and say how come you are charging me £9 per length of 100mm pipe but X building merchants can do it for £8 per length. It's all part of the game you have to play and in order to keep the build in budget. Its a game you need to play well and be as cheeky as you can, if you don't ask you don't get.

• Like 1

I did not get a warranty for our build, I found out that without one if you have to sell then you can take out an indemnity insurance for less than the warranty cost.

p.s. We didn’t need a mortgage.

Edited by joe90

If you need a warranty, get it sorted now.  They like to inspect foundation trenches.

Xmas in the dry is admirable but ambitious.  Don't kill yourself over a self-imposed deadline.

Have you got someone to help?  Setting out, concreting, drainage and ducting is far easier with two people, especially if one of you has done it before.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Have you got someone to help?  Setting out, concreting, drainage and ducting is far easier with two people, especially if one of you has done it before.

Yes a semi retired builder is my wise owl and he also comes with a mini digger.