MADi Home

15 hours ago, joe90 said:

p.s. we have woodlands next to us and an abundance of wildlife including deer and owls and it would make a perfect place to view them.

Just dig a hole with the JCB and bury the shipping container.  Then a few light tubes and a periscope.  Will be quiet, may float when it rains, but that gentle rocking s soothing.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Just dig a hole with the JCB and bury the shipping container.  Then a few light tubes and a periscope.  Will be quiet, may float when it rains, but that gentle rocking s soothing.

I’ve  seriously considered finding a way of leaving my container on site but burying (at least partially) would be the only real option. 

In my ground it wouldn’t float (excellent drainage) but how many years before it rusted out??

Edited by Barney12
Typo

10 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

I’ve  seriously considered finding a way of leaving my container on site but burying (at least partially) would be the only real option. 

In my ground it wouldn’t float (excellent drainage) but how many years before it rusted out??

Just put wheels on it ( they neednt Work)

24 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

but how many years before it rusted out?

Paint it with a bitumen paint and make sure that the inside can stay dry.

You could always cast a concrete floor in it to stop any floating.

On 06/06/2018 at 13:56, Barney12 said:

Many decades for the bit well below ground, as there won't be much free oxygen available.  The area that would need the most protection is the junction between the above ground and below ground bit, up to around a foot or so down, as that is the bit that will have the double whammy of being exposed to oxygen and water.

If the paint on the container is reasonably sound then bitumen or tar works very well; it's what's used on steel narrow boat hulls traditionally.  If the paint surface isn't that sound then it wouldn't hurt to sand or blast it to get rid of any loose stuff then coat it with a zinc-rich primer before painting it with bitumen.

19 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Can you add a sacrificial anode, and would it be any real help?

I'm not sure it would help, as it would only give protection to a relatively small area, because of the relatively poor, and variable, conductivity of soil.  I've had excellent results using Galvafroid, which seems almost as good as proper hot-dip galvanising.  Macsalvors used to stock it at a good price, but only in 5 litre tins I think, often past the "use by" date, hence the low price.  It still worked fine years later.