The VAT refund VAT431NB notes state they want the 'approved plans from your local authority'. Does this mean it has to be an A0 size drawing as submitted to the planners or can it be an A3 or A2.

I sent A4 prints from the planning website and they accepted them OK. 

They do look at them I found, as they came back to us with a question about the bike storage shed being ineligible for VAT reclaim, even though it was on the approved plans.  As we'd only added that (as a lean to on the side of the garage) to comply with the Code for Sustainable Homes rules, and as those rules were withdrawn between the time we submitted our application and the date it was approved, we didn't build the bike storage shed anyway.  I wrote and told them that, with a photo of the garage as built to prove it, and they seemed content.

• Thanks 1

Mine had long disappeared from the planning website so I asked the council to send me pdf files that I printed A3 and sent. I’ve got through that part of the process as they wrote to me to say that my claim would now be processed (eventually .......). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Mine had long disappeared from the planning website so I asked the council to send me pdf files that I printed A3 and sent. I’ve got through that part of the process as they wrote to me to say that my claim would now be processed (eventually .......). 

For future readers (if we have any ?) you can always access the records via a Freedom of Information request. Most places would also probably supply you the docs as PDFs by email.

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

For future readers (if we have any ?) you can always access the records via a Freedom of Information request. 

After they’ve been archived? My local council couldn’t even locate the first PP for the site (2003) in their archives. My build was however covered by the second PP and HMRC asked me to send them the email from the Council saying that the 2003 PP couldn’t be found. 

25 minutes ago, newhome said:

After they’ve been archived? My local council couldn’t even locate the first PP for the site (2003) in their archives. My build was however covered by the second PP and HMRC asked me to send them the email from the Council saying that the 2003 PP couldn’t be found. 

I think they should, yes. Unless it will cost them more than I think roughly £500 of officer time.