Demolition - Do I have to disconnect services?

Adamantium

Hi all, 

About to apply for a demolition notice but the services will be rerouted to the garage which will ultimately be the plant room.

This building is not being demolished so other than phone/internet, I see no reason to disconnect the services.

Am I obliged to disconnect if the services are unaffected by the demolition?

No wouldn't have thought so.

I moved my water supply and meter to a temp position at the boundary. The DNO moved my electricity supply to a temporary box which will need moving again. If you can get the utilities moved just once to their new permanent position that is excellent and a decent saving to be made

Which services are we talking ..?

Elec will need a meter move which isn’t too expensive. 

Water you can pretty much do yourself 

Gas.....?? Very pricey and gas service pipes are a b!@tch to find with a Cat scanner even with a trace wire and genny. Best tool is usually the one sat in the cab of the JCB and have Transco Emergency line on speed dial ...

1 hour ago, Adamantium said:

Hi all, 

About to apply for a demolition notice but the services will be rerouted to the garage which will ultimately be the plant room.

This building is not being demolished so other than phone/internet, I see no reason to disconnect the services.

Am I obliged to disconnect if the services are unaffected by the demolition?

No you aren't obliged to disconnect the services if they are unaffected.  The standard demolition notice mentions services but just say that they are already re-located to the garage which is not being demolished.

We had to apply for two demolition notices.  The first was to demolish our garage (no services at all, and we said that on the form and we retained services to the house for a further 5 months) and the second to demolish the house.  Each time we quoted the planning permission reference which seemed to speed along their responses (which came back well within the 6 week waiting period).

We haven't yet demolished.  Asbestos is causing a few delays.  But we moved the electricity to a permanent kiosk, stopped the water at the boundary (2 boundary boxes now providing site water) and got the gas stopped at the boundary (that was pricey, as @PeterW says - £1,093 for them to come out and stop it at the boundary - took them 1 hour (2 man hours total).  We moved the BT to our caravan and that was pretty straightforward in the end.

Just remember with a meter move that the DNO moves the cable and fuse and your supplier the actual meter

we have just fallen foul of this despite the Admin at our electric company insisting they did both. Put our completion back as we are now waiting for the DNO to give us a date.for the cable to be moved.

Good thing is that its a service alteration so only £480 quid