Gas Meter Location?!

Visti

We're edging ever closer to a foundation, but appear to be assailed by last minute requirements by Graven Hill. Behind schedule by 4 months now... The latest one has broken the camels back and I am looking to push back as I don't believe there's a case for it. I'm hoping you all can assist!

For those of you new to Gravel Hill, this is a 'Custom Build' development where you buy a serviced plot, and they undertake the foundations to your design. After that, you're on your own (with the exception of some hefty bureaucracy above and beyond standard regulation).

Since we reserved in March 2017 it has always been clear that services to our plot are only supplied up to the plot boundary, and that it is our responsibility to take it from there to our house. All services on-site are being installed by GTC, who have recently stipulated this week (May 2018) that there is now a restriction on where we can place the gas meter.

To quote GTC's Gas Technical Guidelines:

In accordance with the Pipeline Safety Regulations, the service must be as short as possible and therefore the meter position shall terminate on the building elevation nearest the gas main; in certain circumstances as determined at the design stage, services may terminate at a meter box on a side elevation, but no more than 2 metres from the nearest elevation to the main.

I've looked up Building Regs and the Pipeline Safety Regs and neither stipulates this requirement. Our Architect is also bamboozled, having never come up against this requirement. 

Problem is, our planned entry points directly to the utility room are at the opposite end of the house to where this meter will need to be. You can see our design below vs. the allowable locations below in green.

Any one else come across this? Is this legitimate?

image.png.8b8d5a30642b83357cffc6e1fea0617b.png 

They did exactly the same thing with me, SGN was the meter installer. They wouldn't budge.

Luckily this allowed us to put the meter on the same wall as expected but with a surface mounted pipe through the garage to the boiler.

The regs are quite restrictive on running a pipe through the house. If you cannot persuade them to put it somewhere else I think you could run a pipe underground in front of the house to where it needs to be. In the end we had to do this to get gas to gas fires at the opposite end of the house from the boiler.

Edited by AliG

37 minutes ago, Visti said:

We're edging ever closer to a foundation, but appear to be assailed by last minute requirements by Graven Hill. Behind schedule by 4 months now... The latest one has broken the camels back and I am looking to push back as I don't believe there's a case for it. I'm hoping you all can assist!

For those of you new to Gravel Hill, this is a 'Custom Build' development where you buy a serviced plot, and they undertake the foundations to your design. After that, you're on your own (with the exception of some hefty bureaucracy above and beyond standard regulation).

Since we reserved in March 2017 it has always been clear that services to our plot are only supplied up to the plot boundary, and that it is our responsibility to take it from there to our house. All services on-site are being installed by GTC, who have recently stipulated this week (May 2018) that there is now a restriction on where we can place the gas meter.

To quote GTC's Gas Technical Guidelines:

I've looked up Building Regs and the Pipeline Safety Regs and neither stipulates this requirement. Our Architect is also bamboozled, having never come up against this requirement. 

Problem is, our planned entry points directly to the utility room are at the opposite end of the house to where this meter will need to be. You can see our design below vs. the allowable locations below in green.

Any one else come across this? Is this legitimate?

image.png.8b8d5a30642b83357cffc6e1fea0617b.png 

I was given pretty much the same instruction as you

Shortest route

ours is built into a 3.5 mtr wall 

I was instructed anywhere on this wall But 600 minimum away from either corner Not a lot of choice really