Timber and Plasterboard Chimney breast with WBS?

HI There,

I've been running myself around in circles trying to figure out how I'm going to get the woodburner in about a timber wall, looking at metal stud and fireline board (as below fireline is not a1 rated?) and a1 rated fireboard such as monlux etc

I'd like to go back to my architect and ask why metal stud was specified etc as per below, but I refuse to go back to them so I'm asking here instead.

Now I understand minimum distances to combustibles etc for the stove and the flue and that vitreous pipe on a stove gets extremely hot and you need upwards of 450mm distance which is not really suitable.

but to put it simply,

the stove I am going to use requires a distance to combustibles of 200mm to rear, 150 to side and 456 above.

The twinwall flue requires 50mm to combustibles.

If I ran twin wall from top to bottom, all the way down to attach to stove (Ie no vitreous pipe), is the above the minimum I would need to be from the finished surface?

So I could just cobble together a standard timber fake chimney breast etc? and line with plasterboard (tiled behind in behind the fire)

am I being thick?

fire.png

I have been discussing this in my own thread as it appears building regs contradict with regards to a hearth (I will call BC some time to get a definitive answer)

It does appear to me, that building regs are a bit lenient with respect to "distance to flamables"  It also appears the stove manufacturers spec overrules the default clearances stated in bregs.  So if your stove manufacturer says 250mm to flamables then you could indeed put bare plasterboard on a timber frame 250mm from the stove. But it is going to get pretty hot. So tiles would seem a very good idea.

I will be taking the twin wall down as close as I can get to the stove so that section can be bare plasterboard, and I will be using a stone slab behind the stove.  You can't take the twin wall all the way down to the stove, unless you build the entire stack upwards from the stove, so you will need a short extending section of single wall flue. to join the twin wall to the stove.  I will be making sure my stone slab extends above that section of single wall flue.

sorry prodave I must have missed that, whoops

When you say I need a short extending section, what is the need for this?

at the moment I was thinking of twinwall up to roughly 5 metres, a short angled bit to move the flue back a couple of feet, then twinwall straight up from there the further 2.5 meters,

4 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

but to put it simply,

the stove I am going to use requires a distance to combustibles of 200mm to rear, 150 to side and 456 above.

I would assume that's 456mm from the whole top of the stove not just the flue pipe. 

4 hours ago, Tin Soldier said:

sorry prodave I must have missed that, whoops

When you say I need a short extending section, what is the need for this?

at the moment I was thinking of twinwall up to roughly 5 metres, a short angled bit to move the flue back a couple of feet, then twinwall straight up from there the further 2.5 meters,

Assuming you put the twin wall flue in first, then in order to connect to the stove, you have to be able to insert a short bit of single wall flue bwtween the stove and the twin wall. You need a bit of telescoping single wall flue for that.