Temporary propping for demolition

willbish

I need to prop my neighbours roof while we demolish and rebuild a knackered section of the party wall.

I've come up with a propping arrangement but both my neighbour and I want a bit of reassurance this would be sufficient.

My structural engineering has passed the buck claiming his insurance does not cover him for temporary works. Im not after calculations just a nod that what we've proposed will stand, and stay standing!

If there's keen 'hubbers who could take a look and offer any feedback that would be greatly received.

Photos and .pdf attached

IMG_8757.JPG

IMG_8735.JPG

IMG_8734.JPG

IMG_8739.JPG

IMG_8737.JPG

Propping arrangement.pdf

I’d want two props on the middle purlin, and both sets need lateral restraint to stop the roof racking away from the other wall. 

Much easier to just put 3 or 4 acro’s per beam to spread the load but make sure there is something stopping the beams moving sideways.  

That looks spot on, very well thought out and brilliant sketching. 

What i would add is you are supporting under both the purlins, just check that there are some fixings between the rafters and the purlins,

if you can’t get in to add some fixings you could cut some of the flat steel strapping, the stuff that comes on a roll and strap over a rafter and into the face of the purlin, just to be sure they don’t twist or slide. 

Thanks for your input.

A second prop on the mid purlin wont be a problem.

Im not worried about the rafters sliding, they have battens on top.

The ground underneath is about a foot of old sandstone scalps. Was thinking i might chuck down a piece of osb to spread the load but I don't think this is necessary