Drain Pressure Testing

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

A couple of recent threads have mentioned the requirement for drain pressure testing. Somehow this requirement has completely passed me by. Could someone who has been through this process please enlighten me.

- What's the purpose of the testing ?

- What needs to be tested ?

- At what stage of the build is the testing done ?

- How is the testing done ?

- Who typically performs the test ? Can I do it myself ?

- How are the results communicated to building control ?

Thanks

2 bits of drainage can be tested: below ground can either be blocked at the lowest chamber and filled with water to see if the level drops, or block off individual pipe runs with an air test.  Inside pipework is also needed to be air tested.  All the test details are in the Building Regs Part H.  If you used a plumber, they should be able to help.  Even if you didn't you may want to get one in to test the system for the Building Inspector to witness (normally test first to make sure it is OK).

It's to check for leaks (sewer gas into your house etc).

It involves opening man holes and plugging the pipe coming into the manhole with a disc. A hand pump is used to pressurise the air on the upstream side of the plug and you monitor the pressure to see if it falls.

Various places sell a kit..

https://www.plastics-express.co.uk/drain-testing/drain-testing-kits/drain-testing-kit-c7cw-2-x-100mm-plugs-p-pte394

Try also Screwfix or Toolstation.

You need to make sure there is water in all your traps and any open stacks blocked. In my case I had a bathroom that wasn't finished so had to temporarily block a few pips that didn't yet have traps on them.

Yes you can do it yourself. Our BCO wanted to observe the test during final inspection. Ask yours when he wants to do it. I recommend you do your own check before the official one just in case you have a leaking AAV or something.

Edited by Temp

I had my test done in November and BC wanted to witness it here. The plumber came out, capped off the soil stacks, completed the test, and then we confirmed to BC that it was good to go. BC came out 2 days later and witnessed the test. I don’t know what quotes are like where you are but I paid £234 for the plumber and his mate in total and he dealt with the BCO who came. Was well worth that to get it all covered. 

Guest Alphonsox
19 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Did Gill visit any time diring setting the drains? Might be handier just asking him what he wants to see...

Not sure - I wasn’t about at that point, hence my complete lack of knowledge on this. I’ll give him a call and ask, but I need to be able to understand the answer!