Brick/Mortar Adhesion, low tech explanation needed.

13 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

might end up agreeing with you on that. My plan is to practice corners & window frames in a local agricultural shed which has a smooth concrete floor just like they do at brickie school on YouTube videos. Just need to source some budget practice bricks. If that goes well I will progress to a practice cavity wall with insulation batts.

If you have no experience whatsoever of bricklaying,I would strongly advise against this. If it was blockwork both skins I’d still say it’d be too much for a novice to take on. Laying bricks accurately can take a while to master. Achieving an output of 300 bricks/day (which your average daywork brickie does) takes a couple of years on Site. 

Then you need to be able to not just read the drawings but also ‘see’ them I.e. pick out critical items & have a mental plan of tackling them. 

Sorry to be negative about your prospects but that’s one of the benefits of this forum-you get a healthy dose of realism at times most needed. 

• Like 5

On 3/15/2018 at 21:14, PeterW said:

Why.....?? Are you planning to do the place yourself ..?

I hope not,  I am engaged in shadow boxing with local trades. My first few interactions led me to believe they view NewBuild rookies as a soft target, my first quote for the brick & block elevations came in at £1.10 per brick laid ex. materials.

Plan B is to convince the world I am going to build the whole house solo but I will let it be known there is extra cash for those who want to join my team to speed up the build.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

I paid £300 per thousand bricks laid - this was in 'variations' due to the unexpected level of foundations specified by the SE, and was only for foundations where accuracy but not neatness was required.