Window Cill profile

Stones

I am just about to order my window cills.

The cills will be folded rather than extruded aluminium.  Two basic profiles:

http://www.bandearg.ie/standard-aluminium-window-sill/

or 

http://lingjoinery.co.uk/extended-cill/

The main difference is the drip line, on the first example it's tucked away, on the latter it sticks out (which may result in people catching themselves on it). I'm guessing both profiles are fine in terms of water dripping off, so is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks Peter.

Dave, it's deciding whether to replicate the Rationel profile (as we are fitting Rationel windows) because they cannot supply the depth we need.  I don't want to use concrete cills, so it means I need to fabricate a cill that extends 180mm from the face of the alu cladding on the window (150 ingo/reveals, 30mm overhang).

The next question what pitch / fall to have on the cill.  The Rationel cill is a 15% fall, but over 180mm looks excessive, so I'm thinking either 5 or 10 degree.

I have just ordered Rationel windows too. Their cills are not deep enough to cover EWI. Nor does my architect consider they are robust enough. I have chosen the sparkly sable paint colour, and am advised that these are the only people who can paint to this spec,either with their own manufacture or another cill:

http://www.mspcladding.co.uk

1 hour ago, Auchlossen said:

I have just ordered Rationel windows too. Their cills are not deep enough to cover EWI. Nor does my architect consider they are robust enough. I have chosen the sparkly sable paint colour, and am advised that these are the only people who can paint to this spec,either with their own manufacture or another cill:

What thickness of EWI?

My house is clad in 100mm thick wood fibre, and the standard Rationel cills work by putting the window frames half in the timber frame of the house, and half sticking out to then be encased in the wood fibre board.

P.S I think the fitting of the cills is the one "bad" feature of the Rationel windows. They fit by being "pressed" into a slot in the bottom of the window frame. The builders didn't want to fit the cills to the windows before fitting them as most of them went in from the inside and the cill would be in the way to do that. So it was down to us to fit them from the outside afterwards. One of them in particular took some serious hammering with a hammer and block of wood to get it to go in. Nervous moments hitting the bottom of the window frame (in effect) very hard with a hammer.

8 hours ago, Auchlossen said:

We are likewise going for the sable finish and it's MSP I'm getting my cills from.  Their quote is around half the price of what the window supplier was looking for.  We are going to end up with a 150 mm ingo / reveal (140 EWI on ICF block plus 10 / 12 mm render) so it was either use the Rationel cill and a concrete cill, or go for a  deeper alu cill extension and forgo the concrete cill altogether, which is what we have decided to do.

If you are contacting MSP, speak to derek.  he has been very helpful and is aware that forum members may be asking for quotes.

On 6/23/2016 at 15:44, PeterStarck said:

I've got standard folded ali sills as in your first link and I've had no problems. As you say the other profile could result in people catching on it.

Peter, can you tell me the depth of your cills and the fall over that depth?  I'm trying to decide between 5 and 10% fall.

5 hours ago, Stones said:

Peter, can you tell me the depth of your cills and the fall over that depth?  I'm trying to decide between 5 and 10% fall.

They were 215mm deep with a  5 degree drop.

Edited by PeterStarck

26 minutes ago, Stones said:

Thanks, very similar to what I need.  

I note from your blog that you used cills on the patio doors / full length windows.  What did you do at your main entrance door threshold?

On the outer porch door I made an oak sill which the low threshold door sill sits on. The inner door into the hall is an Internorm low threshold sill. It's the door etc that's dusty not the camera lens!

P6260001.JPG