Saddle Valve

mike2016

Hi,

I bought a water filter kit for under the sink - reverse osmosis & uv (cherry flavoured!). Anyway, I can fit it under the sink after taking out a shelf but I'm worried about the saddle valve after my escapades last year with plumbing....

The hot water feed pipe is straight enough but the cold water feed bends a fair bit. Both are copper. My concern is getting a good seal with the Saddle Valve and avoiding leaks. 

Are Saddle valves prone to failure? Would a T-Piece be better? 

There might be a place to install it on a short horizontal section that tees off the cold feed and goes out the back wall of the house to a tap there, I'll have to remove the thin-ply at the back of the sink cabinet to see it though....

Any thoughts appreciated.

Pictures:

Under Sink

IMG_20180227_200008.thumb.jpg.cc667a9abf7d73a79cd30b279edc4170.jpgTwo feeds to mixer tap - left is hot, right (bendy one) is cold

IMG_20180227_210540.thumb.jpg.25e19261cabaf9d12eb046dcd1715a2c.jpg

View from Left - potential connection points off cold feed - lower is larger 22mm? feed to attic cistern probably, upper one is smaller bore to outside tap:

IMG_20180227_210557.thumb.jpg.1337deb50eb0d681a4caf03268feb683.jpg

Can’t tee off those copper tails with a saddle valve as they aren’t hardened copper - they are annealed to allow them to bend to the bottom of a mixer tap and will most likely just bend or crush when you try and pierce the pipe. 

There is a compression join though so they  must connect to something else - is that copper too..?? It may just be simpler to replace the compression coupler with a tee or even a tee valve - what’s the connection to the filter ..?