Yellow plasterboard

daiking

I was on a (industrial) site recently and spotted lots of yellow-ish plasterboard. Aware of the significance of blue, green and red varieties but unsure of yellow, I looked it up and suspect it was gyproc duraline or similar that gives better impact protection.

I just wondered why I hadn't seen it mentioned in a domestic environment? Cost?

5 minutes ago, jack said:

Cost is one factor.  Weight and ease of cutting/scoring are others, not to mention momentum and force of habit!

That I understand but Fermacell gets mentioned and now there's the Habito stuff, which presumably have the same issues.

Just wondering what the additional 'cons' are with the duraline?

The habito plasterboard looks promising as it is both more dense and able to take screw fixings. It is almost as heavy as sound bloc, so good at reducing sound, but heavy to carry and install. I haven't looked at cost yet but will be interesting to see how it stacks up against a sheet of 11mm osb with a standard sheet of 12.5 over the top, which is my current preffered route. This gives the ability to fix to any wall and also helps with a flush shadow gap type skirting detail which needs a double panel thickness.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jack said:

I believe (but don't know for sure) that Fermacell is another order of magnitude harder to cut.  

Can be cut and snapped quite easily or you can use a cordless circ saw - will be useless by the end as the dust does for power tools !!

Corners and reveals are easy with a bearing guided router.