Strength of single skin decorative brick bonds.

epsilonGreedy

On 2/15/2018 at 09:27, Brickie said:

What’s the local norm-is it all Flemish bond & that bond is non negotiable?

I sometimes wonder if the specification of English Bond was a Friday afternoon whim expressed through the conservation officer's quill. Walking around the location Flemish and English Garden are used. Maybe I can get away with English Bond Lite i.e. two courses of stretchers to 1 header. I have seen such a variation in a period window and door brochure.

On 2/15/2018 at 09:27, Brickie said:

Reason I ask is I’ve long had a small cheat in my head for false (4”) English bond but I’ve not had a job to test it out on as yet. 

It occurs to me that it would be possible with a cutter to cut a false joint out of the stretchers,giving the impression of two headers once jointed ... cutting the labour cost hugely not to mention the handling & cutting.

It took me a long time to catch up with your thinking, I like the horizontal or is it vertical thinking. I assume the routed cuts would still be made prior to laying? My concern is that the pointing of the header course would be labour intensive and/or would leave the brick finish splattered with pointing residue.

On 2/14/2018 at 18:44, Russell griffiths said:

... you could drop a right clanger if you pick something that is a bugger to cut 

do a few test cuts with a simple grinder and diamond disc to get a feel for how well they cut

The brick manufacturer has warned that one of the styles in the mix is particularly heavy hence a single delivery will not have the typical number of bricks.

8 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Is there a particular reason to not just snap them apart from the untidy edge in the cavity. 

I am beginning to doubt my original concern which launched me down this investigation of cutting.

For background, I noticed that on a nearby build with a special bond the bricks were not splitting 50/50.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 20:26, Russell griffiths said:

What’s the chances of buying damaged bricks to use for the cuts ?

The brick design is a bit arty-farty so I doubt many seconds will be laying around, I will ask when I visit the manufacturer. Thanks for the tip.