sansserif Posted yesterday at 12:18 Posted yesterday at 12:18 My timber frame project needs a fire engineer for a couple of items: 1. Timber frame fire mitigation report, as the building is near another property. 2. Assistance ensuring an open plan layout with inner rooms can comply with building regs. I've was speaking with a few well established firms, but recently I'm having an awful time getting anyone to actually provide a quote -- So far I'm waiting 3-4 weeks to get a response to emails, which makes me worry that even if I get quotes through, the work won't actually get done during my lifetime. Can anyone recommend fire engineering firms for this sort of work who might not be useless at communicating?
Nickfromwales Posted yesterday at 12:34 Posted yesterday at 12:34 15 minutes ago, sansserif said: My timber frame project needs a fire engineer for a couple of items: 1. Timber frame fire mitigation report, as the building is near another property. 2. Assistance ensuring an open plan layout with inner rooms can comply with building regs. I've was speaking with a few well established firms, but recently I'm having an awful time getting anyone to actually provide a quote -- So far I'm waiting 3-4 weeks to get a response to emails, which makes me worry that even if I get quotes through, the work won't actually get done during my lifetime. Can anyone recommend fire engineering firms for this sort of work who might not be useless at communicating? Have you asked your PD?
sansserif Posted yesterday at 12:42 Author Posted yesterday at 12:42 1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said: Have you asked your PD? Yes, and we're struggling to get a response from his go-to firm as well (and as a bonus they're likely to very expensive if we ever get a quote through)
-rick- Posted yesterday at 12:43 Posted yesterday at 12:43 Since Grenfell the demand for fire safety work has skyrocketed and AFAIK there is a huge shortage of qualified people to do it. Bit of a shit situation all round. Sorry, I know that doesn't really help solve your problem.
SteamyTea Posted yesterday at 14:33 Posted yesterday at 14:33 2 hours ago, sansserif said: fire engineer They won't be engineers, just technicians with BTEC or C&G qualification. Look up the qualification and then ask around for people with the right certificate.
Nickfromwales Posted yesterday at 19:11 Posted yesterday at 19:11 6 hours ago, sansserif said: Yes, and we're struggling to get a response from his go-to firm as well (and as a bonus they're likely to very expensive if we ever get a quote through) I've reached out for some contacts. I'll let you know if/when they respond
Mr Punter Posted 5 hours ago Posted 5 hours ago We have had timber frame fire spread engineering a while ago. Stuart Milne - no longer trading - did the frame and Fire-Q did the fire stuff. It cost about £1000 10 years ago, for a 4 storey terraced housing project about 1200m2. The fire spread risk is mainly during construction. Once it is plasterboarded and finished externally it is far safer. You can mitigate open plan layouts with sprinklers.6293 Fire-Q FSRA Falcon Wharf Rev 02 FINAL 20062016.pdf
Nickfromwales Posted 5 hours ago Posted 5 hours ago 21 hours ago, Nickfromwales said: I've reached out for some contacts. I'll let you know if/when they respond @sansserif PM sent.
Nickfromwales Posted 5 hours ago Posted 5 hours ago 14 minutes ago, Mr Punter said: You can mitigate open plan layouts with sprinklers. Sprinklers is one of 2 options for what the actual requirement is for “automatic fire suppression system”, eg you can sometimes use a mist system instead.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now