Alwayslearning22 Posted Friday at 16:10 Posted Friday at 16:10 Do I need to replace this flexi I think I damaged it a bit changing the tap at the very start near connector it’s hose is exposed more
Alwayslearning22 Posted Friday at 18:10 Author Posted Friday at 18:10 it’s damaged at the top of the hose right at the connection point. anyone help would save me a lot of worry
Nickfromwales Posted Saturday at 06:39 Posted Saturday at 06:39 12 hours ago, Alwayslearning22 said: it’s damaged at the top of the hose right at the connection point. anyone help would save me a lot of worry Is it mains pressure or gravity fed? I had to squint to see the damage, but unfortunately it is there. The hose needs to be replaced imo as the braiding has very little mechanical purchase on that compressed ring and it’ll be very reliant on that to stop any further unravelling. These are cheap, go get a new one Out of curiosity, are you using the wrong tools for this job?
Alwayslearning22 Posted Saturday at 07:14 Author Posted Saturday at 07:14 30 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said: Is it mains pressure or gravity fed? I had to squint to see the damage, but unfortunately it is there. The hose needs to be replaced imo as the braiding has very little mechanical purchase on that compressed ring and it’ll be very reliant on that to stop any further unravelling. These are cheap, go get a new one Out of curiosity, are you using the wrong tools for this job? It’s gravity fed with a booster pump. I used one of those basin wrenches but I think I may have caught the pipe a few times with it? Not really sure how it happened to be honest. should I replace it straight away? Could it burst while out of the house job? Thanks Nick
Nickfromwales Posted Saturday at 09:52 Posted Saturday at 09:52 2 hours ago, Alwayslearning22 said: It’s gravity fed with a booster pump. I used one of those basin wrenches but I think I may have caught the pipe a few times with it? Not really sure how it happened to be honest. should I replace it straight away? Could it burst while out of the house job? Thanks Nick It won’t burst today or tomorrow, but change it asap. Leave this at your peril. Is it a full bore flexi?
Alwayslearning22 Posted Saturday at 10:55 Author Posted Saturday at 10:55 55 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said: It won’t burst today or tomorrow, but change it asap. Leave this at your peril. Is it a full bore flexi? It’s full bore yes. can I reuse the olive on this brass section coming from press fit? Also I’m struggling to find the right hose
Nickfromwales Posted Saturday at 11:44 Posted Saturday at 11:44 49 minutes ago, Alwayslearning22 said: It’s full bore yes. can I reuse the olive on this brass section coming from press fit? Also I’m struggling to find the right hose Yea. Leave the nut and olive on. Just add some jointing compound and she’ll be mint. 1
Alwayslearning22 Posted Saturday at 12:06 Author Posted Saturday at 12:06 20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said: Yea. Leave the nut and olive on. Just add some jointing compound and she’ll be mint. Any idea what type of hose I need? The nut says it’s 21mm on it thanks Nick
Nickfromwales Posted Saturday at 14:22 Posted Saturday at 14:22 2 hours ago, Alwayslearning22 said: Any idea what type of hose I need? The nut says it’s 21mm on it thanks Nick Should be a standard large bore 22mm x 3/4” flexi: Link 1
Gone West Posted Saturday at 14:52 Posted Saturday at 14:52 26 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said: Should be a standard large bore 22mm x 3/4” flexi: Are corrugated stainless steel flexi connectors a better type, or are there any downsides? https://ridgelinetubes.com/flexis/
Nickfromwales Posted Saturday at 16:20 Posted Saturday at 16:20 1 hour ago, Gone West said: Are corrugated stainless steel flexi connectors a better type, or are there any downsides? https://ridgelinetubes.com/flexis/ Never used them before tbh, so may give them a whirl. Seems to make sense to upgrade if these are kosher.
Alwayslearning22 Posted Saturday at 16:36 Author Posted Saturday at 16:36 2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said: Should be a standard large bore 22mm x 3/4” flexi: Link Perfect, I’ll not get it done until Monday can’t get any fittings around here until then. Is it safe to leave the flexi as it is until then? Would you say it’s unlikely to burst. It’s actually less than a year old. thanks Nick your a godsend on here
Nickfromwales Posted Saturday at 16:55 Posted Saturday at 16:55 18 minutes ago, Alwayslearning22 said: Perfect, I’ll not get it done until Monday can’t get any fittings around here until then. Is it safe to leave the flexi as it is until then? Would you say it’s unlikely to burst. It’s actually less than a year old. thanks Nick your a godsend on here If the pumps not on then it’s only holding back gravity It’ll be fine. When the pumps running it’s not under huge pressure either. Issues are largely when these are sat with full mains pressure 24/7, and then fail quite quickly (flood o’clock). You should be good until then or longer.
Alwayslearning22 Posted Saturday at 17:08 Author Posted Saturday at 17:08 12 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said: If the pumps not on then it’s only holding back gravity It’ll be fine. When the pumps running it’s not under huge pressure either. Issues are largely when these are sat with full mains pressure 24/7, and then fail quite quickly (flood o’clock). You should be good until then or longer. Brilliant. Now I can sleep tonight. Haha Thanks mate 1
Nickfromwales Posted Saturday at 18:30 Posted Saturday at 18:30 1 hour ago, Alwayslearning22 said: Brilliant. Now I can sleep tonight. Haha Thanks mate LINK 1
Alwayslearning22 Posted 5 hours ago Author Posted 5 hours ago On 26/09/2026 at 19:30, Nickfromwales said: LINK Tried changing this today the brass olive wasn’t even compressed it slid off. I can’t for the life of get a copper or brass to compress properly on the brass stub
Nickfromwales Posted 4 minutes ago Posted 4 minutes ago 5 hours ago, Alwayslearning22 said: Tried changing this today the brass olive wasn’t even compressed it slid off. I can’t for the life of get a copper or brass to compress properly on the brass stub It just uses compression to form a grip / seal. An olive wont compress a brass stem, like bringing a knife to a gunfight Just pinch it up with a bit of oomph, and test for leaks. 👍
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now