Insulating Steel beams / posts

Alex

Hi All, 

I'm looking for some suggestions for how best to insulate / stop cold bridging across a steel RSJ and vertical steel post that I've had to add to support a glazed gable. I don't have any details at the moment so I want to try and get a plan of action together this before I go and ask BC. I've found to date that they're not always the most helpful ! but that could just be my bad luck! 

I've got Alu windows going into so was planning on cladding both the steels externally in alu and internally was thinking of plastering the horizontal and alu clad the vertical post. 

All help welcome! 

Thanks

Alex.

5a6dac9ebf9b5_GableSteel1.thumb.jpg.eacc6baabdb3c40624059c16d0cbd2a5.thumb.jpg.f3123d13343ed8b1701b576987042f2f.jpg

Gable Steel 2.jpg

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

This was asked a couple of weeks ago I don’t know how to put up a link to that topic, but it was asked by @vfrdave if that helps you find the answer. 

The back of your place looks very similar to what we will be doing. Any more pics. 

Is there any reason the steel beam was not incased in the icf ?

The steel is wider than the core of the blocks and the internal webs of the blocks would get in the way so you would end up completely cutting up a block. I do have plenty of off cuts that I could run a layer across the internal face and also to pack out the steel and use foam/tape to stick together but would like a slightly more elegant solution if possible. 

I missed that topic from @vfrdave but what he's done for the post would potentially work for my post although my plan would be to alu clad rather than timber clad it. 

If I packed out both sides of the rsj with either PIR / EPS off cuts I have would I need to wrap in VCL? or would that be best practice for a detail like this? 

Have literally thousands of photos as am slightly trigger happy when I get the camera out! 

Here's a few of the main house, but happy to post others if there's something particular you want to look at / compare.  

house 1.jpg

house 2.jpg

house 3.jpg

house 4.jpg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Of topic sorry. 

How are you finding the nudura. 

Have found it really easy to work with TBH. The guys at The Fell Partnership (SW distributors for Nudura) have been really helpful as well. I did end up with quite a lot of wastage from cut blocks but that's more a design issue than anything. It was the first time the architect had used Nudura so whilst the design was tweaked for block heights for lintels etc, which worked well the length dimensions did mean I ended up trimming 50mm/100mm of blocks to make fit. I went with strip foundations so whilst I could move the walls slightly when laying out the first course at the beginning I ran out of room, as couldn't go to close to edge of foundations to completely avoid trimming blocks effectively.

As a system works really well for those doing it on their own. I laid every single block by myself, cut and fitted all the steel rebar and only had to have help for foundations and the wall pours.  (steel manufacturer craned steels into position as part of their package but they went in in a day with me and 2 guys). So to go from foundations to starting roof I paid for 5 man days in total, which was the help for the concrete pours. :-) It took me nearly 12 weeks though.... With a team of 3 could probably do it in 2 to 3 weeks with what I know now. :D 

• Thanks 1

On 28/01/2018 at 18:49, Alexphd1 said:

Very tidy job!

Thanks. :$

Slow going and there always seems something new to learn / figure out. This forum has been really helpful and ful of loads of great info and advice. I only have 5 months left before I have to go back to work! Managed to swing a 12 month sabbatical from work so need to get as much done as I can in this time! :D