Standard wood fence - horrible

Hi,

I have purchsed a property which has these standard wooden fence panels around the whole plot. They are not damaged and will do for now but I absolutely hate them. Once I get round it I want to replace them with something nicer. I am looking for ideas or recommendations what other people have done.

Personally I like Aluminium as it looks the same for a long time compared to wood which changes to this horrilbe grey color (even though George Clark always calls it "silver"). I would also like it to let light through to allow the sun to dry the area behind the fence to avoid moss whilst it should protect from people looking through.

I am thinking aluminium panels in a 45° angle? Has anyone done that?

Thanks for all your answers :)

Welcome to the forum, @success1980. Delighted that you have joined - you are perilously close to being member number 1000.

Personally I quite like fence panels from a practical viewpoint, but some alternative opinions will be along in a minute.

You will not be cladding your house in larch, then :D.

If I have ever wanted an alternative to panels, it has been a different sort of panel or bricks or hedge. Most recently I did a whole wall out of blue bricks.

Edited by Ferdinand

Hi and welcome.

I am doing vertical ‘hit and miss’ fencing to cater for privacy and letting wind through. I am setting this into dwarf brick walls with slim pilliars (or piers never sure which is right) at 4m intervals.

This will match our larch cladding  which of course will eventually be the horrible grey colour aka silver LOL

I had the hit and miss at my last house and we had it stained  black. Very effective with planting in front, makes a great foil for the green.

Think aluminium might have all sorts of other issues, noise, dents, scratches etc.

I found a company called Knotwood who do aluminium fencing. TBH I did not know it existed. It seems to be popular in Australia, I couldn't find any prices here but in Australia a 6m long aluminium 65mm wide slat costs £36, so you could be looking at around £250 per metre of 2m high aluminium fence, so around 4-5x the cost of a wooden fence.

I am planning to use green mesh security fencing and then plant a hedge to grow through it, this should provide a combination of security and seclusion at a reasonable price with low maintenance. A hedge will let some wind through to dry the garden, it depends how densely you plant it and what kind of hedge it is, if it is deciduous then it will let more light through in winter when it is wetter.

Fencing is not cheap and could easily run to many £000's.

Latch sarking boards in either hit and miss and or with a wavy topline cut with a jigsaw look nice for as low as £40 per metre.

They do soak up stain/treatment though which adds loads of labour and cost.

Aluminium...wow if it's £250 per metre means even a modest 100m fence coming in at £25k!